• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'71 Bronco w/ '91 Mustang 5.0 Idle Stall Surge Problem

yearofthebronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hi guys,
I have a '71 Bronco with a '91 Mustang Gt 5.0 HO Motor in it.
It was left sitting for a while before I owned it and it now has this idle surge and stall problem. From a cold start it will race up to 1700-1900 rpm and after about 30 seconds or so slow down to 800-900 before dropping and surging a lot then usually stalling. It also seems to run rich. Ive been trying to tackle this problem on my own but cant seem to and definitely need some help. Everyone on this site seems really knowledgeable any help is appreciated

I have already:
Replaced the IAC
Cleaned the MAF
Cleaned the 10pin connectors
Cleaned the throttle body
Replaced spark Plugs
reset the idle computer

Should I buy a ford scanner to get the codes on it?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Get codes first no shooting in the dark..EECiv is pretty stupid so don't expect much from codes but you need to start somewhere...

what harness are you using??

how is pin 30 connected this is the NSS terminal??

what computer are you running?

any mods to the motor?

Post pics of you engine compartment..

did you set the idle per instruction or just disconnect the battery?

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
I've noticed in all the 5.0's I've had that there very sensitive to grounds. Check that all the grounds that are supposed to be on the harness are there and clean.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Without codes it is anybodys guess... but if I were to guess I would say pin 30 is not connected properly or the grounds are not good. OR... the computer could be shorted out. I repaired the short in mine with a tiny piece of wire and a soldering iron.

Greg

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
does it get better once it is hot?

I soldered my 10 pin connectors, made a big difference in the idle. But this sounds like coolant sensor.

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
I had to replace my battery before I could get my F.I. 5.0 to run decent.

Some drill an 1/8 hole in the throttle body blade to let a small amount of air past it to idle better but it seems like a bandaid to a problem.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pull codes first.
Next, unplug the MAF and see how it runs in limp mode. Sounds like you could still have a MAF issue (installed backwards, gone bad, air entering the engine not going through the MAF, etc).

You replaced the IAC, it bolts on 2 ways. Get it backwards and it won't work correctly. That is also a very likely cause.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Hell using an old style will cause a lot of problems. I chased a lot of inconsitantcies until the old alternator when out and I repleced with a new syle. Cleaner power signal means better ffedback from sensors.

OP
OP
yearofthebronco

yearofthebronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Pull codes first.
Next, unplug the MAF and see how it runs in limp mode. Sounds like you could still have a MAF issue (installed backwards, gone bad, air entering the engine not going through the MAF, etc).

You replaced the IAC, it bolts on 2 ways. Get it backwards and it won't work correctly. That is also a very likely cause.

Scanner coming in the mail
With the MAF unplugged it'll surge and doesn't idle worse
With the IAC unpluged it'll surge and doesnt idle worse

OP
OP
yearofthebronco

yearofthebronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
does it get better once it is hot?

I soldered my 10 pin connectors, made a big difference in the idle. But this sounds like coolant sensor.

When it's warmed up it gets a little better but overall doesn't make much of a difference. Ill shift it in to reverse and it'll stall or I'll shift it from reverse back into drive with my brakes on and it'll stall too. Anything that makes rpm dip lower than 900 stalls it out.
Will look into coolant sensor

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where do you have the base timing at?
IF you have it cranked up, set it back to the 10° with the spout out, reset minimum airflow and TPS, see what happens then. I keep dealing with people cranking the timing up to "get more power" and the engine dies out under the slightest load at idle. Back the timing off and it will run at idle a lot better.

OP
OP
yearofthebronco

yearofthebronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Get codes first no shooting in the dark..EECiv is pretty stupid so don't expect much from codes but you need to start somewhere...

what harness are you using??

how is pin 30 connected this is the NSS terminal??

what computer are you running?

any mods to the motor?

Post pics of you engine compartment..

did you set the idle per instruction or just disconnect the battery?

I am very new to broncos and to car mechanics in general. Ive only worked on my vintage motorcycle, no fuel injection or computers and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Out of those questions I can only answer:
I set idle per instruction as on modded mustangs site.
I dont know harness or computer.
What is pin 30?

Just got Codes!!...?
So it says its testing 6cyl but its 8cyl???
also got 21, 94, 44, 33, 18 then it repeats itself.
Can anyone tell me what these mean and how I can start to tackle this?

I am having trouble posting pictures so heres a link

http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx189/heyitsderek_photo/bronco engine bay/

ransil

Bronco Guru
are those EFI valve covers?

what is that hose onto of the throttle body connected to??

Oil type air filters can contaminate a MAF sensor..

OP
OP
yearofthebronco

yearofthebronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Pull codes first.

Pulled the codes and got pics of engine compartment