• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash gages problem

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I need some help bigtime. I was driving my bronco today, and suddenly all the dash gages went nuts. The temp gage pegged even though the engine was not overheating or even close to it, the gas gage which was on 1/4 tank where it should have been suddendly went to 3/4, and the oil pressure gage pegged. Does anyone have any idea what would cause all the gages to start spazzing out at once? Thanks for any help.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Probably the voltage regulator mounted on the back side of the speedometer housing. It is mounted with one screw and has two wires with spade clips on it. Get a mirror and a flashlight and you can see it just below the speedometer cable. Your local auto parts as in Napa or? can get one for you.

Don't test the new one unless it is grounded to the speedo housing with the mounting screw.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A grounding problem at the regulator will cause that also.

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
Probably the voltage regulator mounted on the back side of the speedometer housing. It is mounted with one screw and has two wires with spade clips on it. Get a mirror and a flashlight and you can see it just below the speedometer cable. Your local auto parts as in Napa or? can get one for you.

hey Mr Viper, I just install my newly refurbished gauges. prob is the volt gauge refuses to work. i think i have all the other gauges connected right but the alt is not working. now the speedo shows about 10mph faster than before. do you have a diagram for the wiring. all my wires are stock.
would crisscrossing the other gauges cause this prob?
thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

hey Mr Viper, I just install my newly refurbished gauges. prob is the volt gauge refuses to work. i think i have all the other gauges connected right but the alt is not working. now the speedo shows about 10mph faster than before. do you have a diagram for the wiring. all my wires are stock.
would crisscrossing the other gauges cause this prob?
thanks

Is it the stock ammeter or a voltmeter retrofit? If ammeter you need to run the large black wire through the loop at the back. If it reads the wrong way run the wire through the opposite direction. The other gauges shouldn't affect it or the speedo.

Attachments

• Bronco 383.jpg
    Bronco 383.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 58