• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tonneau help.

rubbman

I need a Hard shell Tonneu cover for my bronco, does anyone make one or would I have to buy one for a different make of truck. Any suggestions?? I plan to cut it down so I would like one that was longer but snug on width.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a tough one that is!
Be pretty neat though. Seems to me that I've seen one somewhere, that someone had customized similar to what you're contemplating. But it's been forever and a half since I've seen it, so have no idea where it was.

Problem with fitting one from a later truck is that a lot of the newer stuff has real wide bed-rails. Might not be a big issue, but might change the profile of the edges and how the seals are placed.
Have you checked any other trucks for width yet? Like a Chevy S-10 or Nissan truck maybe? That would seem like a good place to start.

Good luck. Can't wait to see if you have any luck in that regard.

Paul

broncodrew

I would give Gaylord's a call...http://www.gaylordslids.com. They make a hard tonneau, not for our trucks but maybe they would be interested....give them a call...(562) 529-7543 they are in Sante Fe Springs, California. Hope this helps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good call. They used to make customs too I think, so maybe they still do? Brand new is not as cheap as finding one in a junkyard, but at least it'll fit without you having to tweak around with it.

Paul

OP
OP
rubbman

rubbman

Thanks for all the info! My plan is to throw the 1/2 cab on(without the bulkhead) Put the rear seat close to the cab facing backwards and cover it with a cut tonneu for a rumbe style seat.

rekoj71

I think the Dodge Dakota trucks would be closer (but maybe not perfect) to our bed width as far as starting with something to modify.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
I made one out of 3/8"plywood and put a black gel coat on it with material I got from tap plastics. It was'nt too hard but there were a few air pockets when i was smoothing it out. I will probably scuff and paint it later. It's something doable and i hinged it towards the back of the half cab so it folds up with stock liftgate arms. I'd say go for it and it beats spending 3 times the $ to have someone custom build for you.

OP
OP
rubbman

rubbman

I made one out of 3/8"plywood and put a black gel coat on it with material I got from tap plastics. It was'nt too hard but there were a few air pockets when i was smoothing it out. I will probably scuff and paint it later. It's something doable and i hinged it towards the back of the half cab so it folds up with stock liftgate arms. I'd say go for it and it beats spending 3 times the $ to have someone custom build for you.

I do like the Idea of a custom wood tonneu! I happen to have some 1/8" thick mahogany lying around, Mabey maple?