• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Switching to Auxiliary Gas Tank

wthayden

Loc.
Houston, Texas
I just purchased my EFB and am new to all of this. Mine has an auxiliary gas tank. How does one switch from the main tank to the auxiliary tank and vice versa? Does the car need to be on or off to switch? Is it possible to switch to auxiliary after the main tank has already run out of fuel?

Thanks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The switch on the left dash is for the gauge only. It controls which tank sender is shown at the gauge. To switch the fuel flow use the manual valve under the front of the seat. Turn it 180 degrees to switch from one tank to the other.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, you can switch them while the engine is running, or has already run out of fuel and started coughing.
Since it's just a mechanical ball-valve type thingy, you won't hurt or disrupt anything by changing it as you see fit. And whenever you see fit.

I've run out of fuel in one tank, and quickly switched them so that it only took a few seconds for fuel to reach the carburetor.
You learn pretty quick, just how fast you can make that change when your engine starts stuttering at the most inopportune moment!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and welcome to ClassicBroncos wthayden!
Almost forgot to say hey. As a first-time owner, keep the questions coming. Anything you think about has probably been covered here, because there are a lot of little things that are unique to this type of vehicle.

And no question is a dumb one.
Well, almost. But ask anyway. We can only give you a hard time for so long before one of us admits we've done the same thing. Twice!

Paul

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
And yes, you can switch them while the engine is running, or has already run out of fuel and started coughing.
Since it's just a mechanical ball-valve type thingy, you won't hurt or disrupt anything by changing it as you see fit. And whenever you see fit.

I've run out of fuel in one tank, and quickly switched them so that it only took a few seconds for fuel to reach the carburetor.
You learn pretty quick, just how fast you can make that change when your engine starts stuttering at the most inopportune moment!

Paul

Yup ! Ive done it like this a thousand times. Just try to remember which way is for what tank. The selector valve points to the passenger door or the drivers door depending on which tank you are on. Then remember to flip the dash switch accordingly.

rekoj71

Paul

Heck, for 10 years my gas gage didn't work so this was standard procedure, then another 75 miles then fill them both back up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The going down the highway, hay, this thing isn't running so good. Oh crap, I have no power. Reach under the seat, flip the lever, start thinking of the shoulder as you are loosing speed in heavy fast moving traffic. Cough, cough, power is back. Flip the switch on the dash, gauge goes to empty, realize you had the dash switch and gas vavle out of sync (again). Flip back to the tank that the gauge shows some fuel in and keep dirving.

Common way of driving a Bronco with factory twin tanks.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
heck its even a good way of getting gas money from freinds... cough cough running out of gas need money... gots some?

oh and welcome aboard.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish Ford would have put the fuel valve and gage switch in sync, meaning, the fuel valve makes sense the way its set up, when it points the to aux tank that is the tank its pulling from but the gage switch has to be flipped to the pass side for the aux tank. I'm sure they used the gage switch on other models is the reason and just didn't take the time to make a new bezel.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
On mine I smell gas fumes a couple seconds before it runs out. If I am quick enough on the lever it barely looses power then takes off again.