• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer disc with 2 3/8" bs axle problem

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am installing the explorer rear disc on my bronco. I pulled the axle from my other 75 bronco with the Torino end flanges that work with the explorer disc backing plates. I have new 31 spline axles that were ordered for my 77 they are 2 3/8" BS. I had the ends turned down to fit in the explorer rotors so I tried one side out just before dark today and like everything I do to up grade this bronco it just leads to another problem thanks to all of the members on CB I will get through this problem with your help. I will get some pics up if I get home before dark tomorrow .The back side of the wheel bolt studs touch, rub the parking brake springs and the lip on the back of the rotor at the internal parking brake drum rub- bottom out on the plate that holds the parking brake shoes so the 2.5 BS axles are needed. I looked at the other explorer axle that I have that is still all together and it has about 1/8 clearance at these places, so as other threads have said The calipers are floating and will work with 2 3/8 BS axles but I don't know how others have got around this if anyone has used 2 3/8 BS axles Thanks again Keith

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I don't know how people make '77 Axles work unless they have the 2 3/8" BS machined to 2 1/2" BS, or if that is even possible, but, the 2 1/2" BS is needed
on the axle to run the Explorer Disc Setup

As for EB Axle length it's like spliting hairs; (like maybe .063 difference on each side)
Axles for a '74-'75 are 27-1/4" (DS) & 29-3/4" (PS)
as were the
Axles for a '76-'77 are 27-3/16" (DS) & 29-11/16" (PS)

Sometimes the OD of the Axle (hub) has to be turn down to fit inside the Rotor Hat, it is Mandatory to Redrill the 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern & Open up the Center Hole (or turn down the axle center).

Does your '75 Housing have 3/8" bolt flange?

What other problems are you having? Are you trying to use 31-spline Explorer (8.8) axles ?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would pull the axle bearings, machine and install 1/8" thick spacers between the bearing and shoulder on the axle, install new bearings and call it a day. You'll lose 1/8" of spline engagement at the diff, but it should solve your brake offset issues giving you the 2.50" offset dimension you're looking for. You should see a wear/witness line on the axle splines and be able to determine whether 1/8" less engagement is going to create any issue...it wouldn't on any of mine.

Tobin

Last edited:

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I don't think that will really take care of the backspacing issue.

The spacer actually sits inside the backing plate, it has a larger center opening. (at least it did on my '74 setup)

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the threads I checked say 2 3/8 BS axles should work . The 1/8 is about all it needs Tobin idea may work I will try to get some pics loaded

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pics of the problems

Attachments

• FORD 9 011.jpg
    FORD 9 011.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 42
  • FORD 9 012.jpg
    FORD 9 012.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 44
  • FORD 9 013.jpg
    FORD 9 013.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 37
  • FORD 9 014.jpg
    FORD 9 014.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 40

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Can you point me to the threads that say 3/8" BS should work, I haven't seen them and would like to double check the info.

What is that in the first two photo's ? What is the hub of the Axle hitting/rubbing up against ?

All I know is, the Explorer Rear Disc Brakes went on smoother & quicker than my Spline-Out Front Disc Setup on my '74 that I did years ago.

Question to ALL : Does the Back Spacing have (anything) to do with wear the Bearing sit on the Axle or do all Bearing sit on the same spot (shoulder) of the Axle ? Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most of all the kits out there either say you need the 2.5in spacing or new axles with that back spacing some kits come with new axles.
I think the confusion is just that the explorer setup fits the 74/75 housing and its assumed that the axles are correct.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1229
http://completeoffroad.com/i-159427-ford-8-8-and-9-explorer-disk-brake-kit.html
Here's a install article they mention some axle issues as well see the pic near the bottom o f the page. seems like 2.188 is the minimum that will work. maybe your 77 axles are not with in this spec.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/28733_bolt_on_rear_disc_brake_conversion/index.html

Apogee's suggestion is probably the cheapest option. Although you may be able to get by with less than 1/8" spacers

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to have the machine shop make me some shims to install on the axles before the bearings as Apogee has suggested that will bring them to the needed 2.5" BS thanks everyone for your help