• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF or NV4500 preferences?

Chinook Pilot

Loc.
Gresham
I think I've settled on one of these two, but I don't know much about them other than what I've read on the XMSN page on this sight. For those of you that have either, which do you think is better? Easier to install? Availability? Price? Also, I want to put a center console in with the cup holders and I was wondering if the T Case shifter would get in the way on the ZF. Thanks!

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
i have the nv 4500 very tough, granny 1st gear and overdrive. the throws are long. price is a killer i bought the whole kit from wild horses.. at least 2 inch body lift if you dont want to cut trans tunnel.(i cut mine) not hard to put in (with heavy duty transmission jack and transfer case on tranny) i love it but it did cost a few bucks if i had to do over i would have found one a wrecking yard and bought the install kit from wild horses..

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
I'd say the ZF adapters are cheaper as well as the ZF trannys. Or just get an NP205 for half the price of the adapter. Seems like the NV4500 has a slight edge in strength. Check BCbroncos.com they have all the adapters.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The ZF is more of a direct bolt-in since it was available in Ford applications, whereas the NV4500 is either Dodge or GM with the gas Dodge version typically being the preferred candidate for Ford swap applications. I've got one behind a 429 in my PU and if I were to do it again, I'd probably do the ZF for availability and cost reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love the NV4500 transmission versus the NP435 it replaced, I just think the bang-for-the-buck factor would be higher with the ZF.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I know those are both great transmissions and stronger than mine. I have the NV3550. The deciding factors IMO would include what else has to be done to make it work. Ie; How much Body Lift, how much cutting, crossmember mods, clutch linkage and drive shaft mods that would be required for each one. And of course the finished total cost.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I run the ZF with a tuffy console and have no issues with the drink holders on the front. I did twinstick the D-20 when I did the conversion and set my shifters up within easy reach, but you can also mount them back in the stock location as well.

Ben

70_Steve

Old Guy
At the time, I would have gone with either. But I found a "deal?" on my NV4500. The complete AA kit, with only 8K on the tranny, for $2K. And when I picked it up, got everything from the bellhousing and flywheel to the driveshafts.

The gearing between the two is almost identical. And, from what I've read of guys that have driven both, they both shift the same... like a truck! You will not be speed-shifting either of these trannys.

OP
OP
Chinook Pilot

Chinook Pilot

Loc.
Gresham
Thanks for the input, guys. From what I'm hearing, it's a cost decision as opposed to a quality decision. I'll see what I can find!

Alex

robofig

I've been running a nv4500 since 1996. It's been great.

I have driven a few f250 s with zf s and like them also.

The one thing I don't like about the zf is the hydrolic throw out bearing.

To me it is something else to leak or fail.

I like to keep things simple. My 2 cents.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have not driven the ZF, but I like my 4500. From searches I did back when, the 4500 was supposed to shift a bit smoother. It does have a little bit of a long throw, but its not as bad as the 3-on-the-tree. If you get one of the newer style 4500s with the rectangular shifter mount (as opposed to the socket-ball-style) then I believe there are short throw shifter kits out there for those. You can replace the shift tower to the later style, but the newer bolt-on-shifters style towers are in demand and more $ and I didnt want to spend the extra $.

You can buy the NV4500 install kit for about the same price as a NV3550 kit (~$800 +/_) or a ZF kit. The mount from AA is not included with the NV4500 kit, like it is in the NV3550 kit (even though it apperas to be the same mount)...but it will only cost you $100 from AA. However, it might be easy enough to fab your own for less, but I didnt want to mess with it for only another $100. Then the big price difference only comes down to the tranny itself. You can find deals on NV4500s. However, but b/c they are more desired by multiple vehicle swappers (jeeps, Toyotas, Dodges, Chevys--most swappers actually), they usually have a small premium over a ZF--which is mostly desirable by us Ford folk. Without a core, you are looking @ ~ $1900-2100 or more. With a core a complete rebuild with new counter and mainshaft should be between $1K - 1.3K depending on the condition of the gears....less if you have friends. The cost to rebuild a ZF should be about the same...either way, if you can find a "core" which can be hard, especially for the NV4500s, thecost to rebuild is comparable.

I think WH charges more, b/c they also include a new steel tunnel piece, the tranny mount and such.

With the $800 kit, the $100 crossmember, you are just looking for a quality rebuilt unit...and of course a new clutch as you would install with any new tranny...I am not sure why some of the 'all-included' kits warrant the $3-3.5K pricetag. I would NEVER install a tranny that has not been at least inspected, better yet, rebuilt by a qualified and competent shop. I got burned by an individual named Jim Clark (who I had used before and recommended to others) with an inferior 4500 tranny for my frame up--likely was not even rebuilt. He promised me he would make it right, but moved, doesnt return calls, etc. I gave up on him. Another friend of mine is also dealing with a leaky 4500 from him. After 1st gear went out at 10K miles, I had a real shop go through it...thats where I get the $1-1.2K rebuild price from....so my "really good deal" turned out to be a "install it twice cause its fun-- and, hey, you spent the same amount overall as a brand new kit deal anyway-deal". Actually, I just installed it a 3rd time, b/c the other shop that rebuilt it didnt get it sealed well enough...so they went back through it again for free...but I still had to remove/install it again. At least they stood behind their work. Did I mention that I could do one of these swaps in my sleep??....I've done the 3550 install 3-4 times now as well (for myself and then helping a buddy).

I know I am long-winded, and for that I apologize, but I have to say it again....QUALITY PARTS...make sure you install them...doing things more than once costs you alot more in time and materials than doing it right ONCE. Hell, I have spent over $100 in synthetic lube for the tranny alone now...%)

Good luck.