• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351C & Sanderson headers

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Those of you who have a Cleveland & Sanderson headers..... How did you get the passenger side to fit?
Raise the motor? If so how & with what?
Cut out a section of frame & reinforce?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those of you who have a Cleveland & Sanderson headers..... How did you get the passenger side to fit?
Raise the motor? If so how & with what?
Cut out a section of frame & reinforce?

You have any pics of the situation David? You got the FC-3s?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
FC3 are the correct style. The cleveland fit is not as good as the 400 fit. the taller block is better because of the header fitting directly over the passenger frame. The taller deck of the 400 makes for a higher head and more clearance. The c sits almost on the frame. But there is a good answer for the C guys. The W extreme motor mounts make the engine sit higher. The headers will fit better with these mounts. Without them the header will fit but it is a fight to get the header in place. Also the FC3's only come in 4V exhaust flange. If your running the 4v heads your good but the standard 2v gasket will not seal the flange. Sanderson makes a copper gasket that will fit and seal to the 2v head. I have found no other that works.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Tried to get a good pic, but my phone blows for pic taking. The right side collector hits the top of the frame.
Two ideas: 1) cut out & reinforce a section of the frame
2) somehow, raise the right side of the motor.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
The W extreme motor mounts make the engine sit higher. The headers will fit better with these mounts. Without them the header will fit but it is a fight to get the header in place.

Nope, not even with a good fight do they fit. When you say W extreme mounts, do you mean 351W will fit? Link to which ones you're talking about?

VT_Don

I've run performance, cast iron manifolds for years. Application being '70 Mustang, 351C 4V. Current rebuild/rebody, am leaning towards a tube header for sex appeal. But the price of custom, TIG welded, stainless headers is a bit stiff. Have some shops ready to tackle the job, and may be able to adjust price if a few sets could be made at once.

ransil

Bronco Guru
probably find a 302 and drop it in faster than getting the 351C to fit. there is one in my garage need rebuilt , not mine but should be able to get it free.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
probably find a 302 and drop it in faster than getting the 351C to fit. there is one in my garage need rebuilt , not mine but should be able to get it free.

Bite your tongue. :mad:

Devin

Bronco Kineticist

And end up with a very common and boring setup. Keep working the C. ;D

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
So we cut this section of frame out
e0891137.jpg

replaced it with a section of this
59312eee.jpg

inverted and capped in the frame
5fd0dbe9.jpg

so the header now clears the frame
a2de9bc7.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow. OK..I learned something. I thought there was more room between header tubes and frame with the FC-3s on a 400 and so assumed they would still fit with the shorter 351C.%)

Ain't this fun, David?%)