• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is This Dana 44 Salvageable?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess the answer is, depends on how much work you want to do. Here's the potential problem though.
Have a high-pinion 44 that is minus the C-bushing wedges and has new steering yokes (the "C's") waiting to be welded on in any position I choose.
So far, so good.

The short side tube however, has been machined to a smaller diameter than the inside of the yoke. The long side tube is a nice tight fit. You can get it half-way by hand, then you have to try a bit to get it the rest of the way. The short side is loose and floppy, to the tune of about a 1/16" clearance or so.

Is this normal? Since the yokes get fully welded anyway, is this extra clearance really an issue?
I do like the feel of the nice tight fit before welding. That way it's not just the weld holding things tight, but don't know if it's a requirement for a long and healthy life.

So is it not any big deal to begin with?

Thanks

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would want a tighter fit as well. maybe weld up the tube and remachine so it fits tight. Although welding both side of the C would probably be more than enough. I'd just be worried about it not being straight once the welding starts without it being in some kind of fixture to hold it. Probably not that big of a deal if the whoever welds it knows what they are doing. Worst cast you could just retube it.

OP
OP
DirtDonk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, thought about the re-tube thing first off. But whoever started modding this one sure did a REAL bang-up job of fully welding everything. And I mean everything. Even the two recesses for the spreaders are full-to-the-top with filler weld.
The tubes themselves look like someone used 2000 feet of wire in their mig-welder!
Very clean and tidy welds I must say, but a ton of metal went into them.

So anything I do is going to be awkward (as in, labor intensive) to say the least.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Even the two recesses for the spreaders are full-to-the-top with filler weld.
The tubes themselves look like someone used 2000 feet of wire in their mig-welder!
Paul

I'd be a little leary of that housing with all that welding done on it. Wouldnt be to sure if they actually weaked it or not with all the heat.

70_Steve

Old Guy
One of the guys, here in AZ I think, had his knuckles turned at a machine shop. I remember him saying about how impressive it was to see his housing chucked up in a lathe. Find a machine shop that will cut the welds on a lathe (or whatever!), then retube the short side.

OP
OP
DirtDonk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd be a little leary of that housing with all that welding done on it. Wouldnt be to sure if they actually weaked it or not with all the heat.

Hmmm, that had crossed my mind, momentarily, but I figured that, with that bulk of casting, it would probably be ok. Now with you saying that, I wonder...

Paul

OP
OP
DirtDonk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll check into that Steve. I've got a couple of reputable rear-end shops not too far away. I'll try to stop by to see if their facilities include that kind of a lathe setup.
And still have the expertise to use them! You never know what goes on once the "old guy" retires and the kids take over.

Paul

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Have you had it checked for true? They will have to do thaqt to install the C's correctly. The short side maybe loose to allow for truing

OP
OP
DirtDonk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Chuck. No, haven't had it professionally checked in that regard. I did look down the bores just to make sure it was at least visually close, but have not made any measurements.
So you're thinking it's possible for the one side to have a little fudge room in case the axle tubes are not perfectly lined up? Interesting thought.
Not much available correction factor though, so it seems strange that they'd sacrifice strength for a little leeway in tuning.
Then again, maybe it's not that big of a loss, so was worth a little tolerance correction-ability.

Paul