• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

busy day , some victories some failures

olaf427

Loc.
Fredericksburg Va
Well it was a busy day. I installed new steel fuel lines today and replaced the sending unit in my aux tank. Hopefully the new sending unit wont leak lol. I would love to meet the fool that designed the sending unit retainment set-up and give them a piece of my mind. What were they thinking lol. Well at least thats done.
Now for the failure, I ordered a new headlamp switch from BC and low and behold there is a bracket missing on the front of the switch. Boy I wish someone had told me this before I ordered it. So I removed the bracket and tack welded it to the new switch unfortunatly this ruined the switch lol. I guess tomorrow I'll pick another one up from a local store and try some epoxy.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I used glue also, those generic headlamp switches fit a lot of different vehicles, so you don't get the u-shaped bracket with a new one. Epoxy is the easiest solution.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just set it in there and fight it until it all fits. Glue would be a better course, but I've just made them work as-is.

Did you happen to check the working of the new sending unit olaf? I see you're relatively new here, but hopefully you've had time to read some of the posts regarding new sending units.
Problem is that, not only are there some minor variations in the units themselves, but remember you're talking about 30+ year old wiring, connections and gauges. So your readings might not be the same as when the truck was brand new.
With any luck, yours will work fine right out of the box. But there have been so many frustrating days spent re-doing so many of the installs, I hope you don't have to do the same.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and when you're more settled in around here, post up where you're located. That way you can be included in the local goings-on in your region and, even better, if you ever run into trouble with your rig, it's easier for other members local to you to offer some able-bodies assistance.
Not necessary of course, but it's worked out well for lots of us.

And just knowing what year and mods you have, helps everybody when something technical comes up. Wouldn't have made a difference here, but down the road it will.

Paul

OP
OP
O

olaf427

Loc.
Fredericksburg Va
OK, the profile is filled out, thanks for the heads up.

I used a scott drake sending unit so hoepfully that will work ok. I still dont know if it leaks but I expect to gas it up saturday and find out.

My next hurdle is to figure out why the gas gauge doesnt work. Thanks