• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head Gasket Q

sdreaden

Loc.
Birmingham
Fixing to replace head gaskets and I bought the FelPro head gasket set. The head gaskets are marked with Front but they appear to be identical vs. mirror copies... i.e. two drivers side. Is their suppose to be a top and bottom side or is this only cosmetic and I simply flip one of them over???

Thanks

kinder

Same for either side, just make sure "FRONT" is in the front and you're good.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is no top and bottom, only front and back.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Flip one over. Front is front or you will overheat that side of the engine.
There is no left/right for the gaskets. They are the same part. Just turn it over so the Front print is facing down.

It is all about cooling. The waterpump pushes water into the block. The water then goes to the back (mostly, a little goes through some of the small holes). At the back of the block it goes through the big holes up into the heads. It then flows forward. Out into the front of the intake, merged at the thermostat, out the radiator and around again.
If you look at the gaskets you will note large coolant passages at the back of the gaskets. If you put the front of the gasket at the back, the passage is blocked. That side will overheat and die and you won't know it because the other side is working correctly and the flowing water off the good side will make it to the gauge and thermostat.
The heads are cast with the large holes at both ends. This is so a single casting will work for both left and right sides. Simplifies production and replacment. But this can confuse people as "the holes lined up"...