• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

marine fuel filter water separator???

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Situation:
Had her running last night for the first time since July. Since then a new 23 gal tank, new fuel lines and a mechanical pump were installed. I also in a Mallory marine fuel filter water separator. Figuring there may have been dirt/crap in the lines/tank, I also put in a small fuel filter before the Mallory, just to run the first few gallons through. Figuring that would've cleared the majority of crap out, I would then take the small one out & just use the Mallory.

Problem:
It seems that the pump doesn't have enough "suction" to pull enough fuel through the marine fuel filter. I can get her started by putting gas in the carb. and idling for about 1 min., and then she shuts down.

Question: (yes, I'm a Dwight Schrute fan)
Anyone else (Bill?) that runs that filter set up, have any ideas?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What series of filter are you running? I'd probably ditch the setup unless you just have major issues with gas having water in it in your area.
If you keep it then I would probably go to a electric fuel pump. While mechanical pumps tend to work fairly well asking it to pull through a large filter may be more than it can handle. Could also be that your filter just hasnt filled up yet so the engine dies before fuel gets to it. but still I think that setup will be more problematic than it will be benefical.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Something definitely not right..I usually run the marine filter on the output side of the pump and use a smaller 'per' filter on the swuction side, but I've run the marine on the suction side too. The filter in my Donzi is in the suction side. Weak pump?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its a Holley, so I should be ok there. I have both filters on the suction side.

ugh. No..I wouldn't bet on that. IF you are talking about the 'Carter style' Holley with the split-bolted housing, I found those fancy-looking Holley pumps to be utter junk. A 'true' Carter on the other hand..solid pieces of hardware.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Situation:
Had her running last night for the first time since July. Since then a new 23 gal tank, new fuel lines and a mechanical pump were installed. I also in a Mallory marine fuel filter water separator. Figuring there may have been dirt/crap in the lines/tank, I also put in a small fuel filter before the Mallory, just to run the first few gallons through. Figuring that would've cleared the majority of crap out, I would then take the small one out & just use the Mallory.

Problem:
It seems that the pump doesn't have enough "suction" to pull enough fuel through the marine fuel filter. I can get her started by putting gas in the carb. and idling for about 1 min., and then she shuts down.

Question: (yes, I'm a Dwight Schrute fan)
Anyone else (Bill?) that runs that filter set up, have any ideas?

You need to remove the fuel pump and reinstall it. The fuel pump arm needs to go UNDER the ecentric in on the front of the timing chain, not on top of it. Usually a real pain to install correctly because you are usually compressing the spring on the fuel pump to get the bolts in.

Sucking through afilter generally isn't the best, but it will do it fine. I have set up a countless fuel pumps to pull through a filter when I know the tank is in bad shape. It will work.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
It's under:
3ae40671-1.jpg

Ill move the filter after the pump & see how that works

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Years ago I bought a bronco that had sat for 8-10 years,bring it back to life I installed a new carb filter and after I got it started within 15 minutes it stoped the carb filter was completely pluged,again new carb filter it started and again 15 minutes later another pluged filter.I purchased a marine stile filter (fuel water sperator),I installed mine between the pump and carb above the fuel pump,it stated and never had a problem again. After running this set-up for over a year I changed the filter (not having any problems to this point just thought it needed changing).I took the old filter drained it and shook it out in to my hand about a tablespoon of what looked like coarse ground pepper,this is what was in the tanks and the filter removed all this without any problems,this was pumped thought the fuel pump and caused no fuel pump problems. I would remove the pre filter and install the filter after the fuel pump in front of the carb.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
There should be a screen in the tank on the fuel pickup that eliminates most of the big chunks from the equation. I wouldn't run a filter on the pickup side at all. That is not how it was originally designed anyway. The pump doesn't suck as hard as it pushes. It creates a "void" which gravity/atmospheric pressure fills. Then it pushes like heck to make pressure. I may run your setup eventually on the pressure side though as I would like to see some sort of h20 separator in the system.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Moved it to the pressure side... nothing. Removed all the lines & forced air through them. Reconnected & now she runs. Either... something was in the line, or there was some sort of vacuum. Either way....she ran today!!!