• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harmonic Balancer Installation Q

sdreaden

Loc.
Birmingham
I am in the process of putting the top half of a 302 back together after replacing head gaskets. When putting the harmonic balancer back on, is their a positive stop that the balancer will reach when it is on the correct amount or am I suppose to simply stop tightening the big center bolt when the balancer is in line with the water pump pulley? It appears like I could continue to tighten the bolt until the balancer actually makes contact with timing cover. Currently, it looks to be lined up with the top pulley and I didn't want to continue to tighten it and end up having to pull it back off again with the puller!

Thanks,
Scott

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
110-130 lbs torque.
Should not use a hammer, if you need to, use a harmonic balancer pulley install tool to get it seated, then torque the bolt appropriately. It should slide through the gasket hole in your timing cover.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Just torque it up. Depending on the year of the motor it will be either 35-50 ft lbs for a 74-77 and 70-90 ft lbs for all the rest.