• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Filling Early Bronco

wthayden

Loc.
Houston, Texas
I just purchased my first EFB. It is a 1974. It has original Main and Aux tanks still. For the life of me, I cannot get them filled at the pump. Is there a trick or fix to prevent the pump from constantly shutting off?

Thanks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Generally you have to fill them slowly. The 5/8" hose is the fill vent. You might look to see it's not kinked or plugged.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
As said, you must have something plugged. I fill mine with the nozzle on full, but I have new fill and vent hoses.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Put the gas pump nozzle in upside down. Especially on the AUX tank. Helps a little, but you still have to go slow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey wthayden, welcome to the forum. Hope you get this licked. It's such a pain!
Do some searching (there's a search tab up top) and you'll find lots of discussions about exactly that. Problem is though, I don't think there's any one solution.
I still can't quite figure out how I fixed mine, even though I did it with complete success.
In mine ('71 with dual tanks) I simply replaced both of my filler hoses (large fill and smaller vent), blew out the evap canister lines with low-pressure compressed air, re-set the sending units to read correctly and replaced the "sock" filters on the end of the sending units.
In theory at least, NONE of that should have fixed my problem. But as soon as I put it all back together again, it worked and I've never had that issue crop up again.
When I installed a 23 gallon replacement tank years later, it still worked fine.

My buddy's '77 did the same thing with the rear main tank, but when I looked underneath, I could see a kinked vent line. We cut it shorter, re-attached it and away we went. Never to have that issue again either.
There was nothing visibly wrong with my hoses, either kink-wise or plugged-wise, but changing them out seemed to help.

I know that's not a for-sure answer, but it might be worth a few bucks to give it a try. But look for kinks first, like the others have said. At least that fix is free!

Good luck.

Paul

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my '76, there is a little "trap door" inside is on the far right of the filler neck. I must place the gas filler nozzle so it inserts into the door or it will not pump.
Take off your gas cap and look closely at the inside of the filler neck, if you see a spring loaded "trap door" insert the nozzle there.
reamer

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Put the filler nozzle in all the way as far as it will go, then pull it about a quarter of the way back out and set the fill speed on the slowest notch. Works for me every time.