• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tires and wheels?

jmcdonald71

I have a 77 ford bronco that through a nightmare of events has taken 10+ years to get on the road. It is now a month from being done. I need to get tires and rims and after doing some searching realize that I have no idea what to get. I do know that I am getting 36's. The bronco will be used 70% as a daily driver (half on highway) and 30 percent off-roads and on mud (not rock-crawling). What size rims should I get? How wide tires wheels? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please just assume I'm a moron and give me the basics. Thanks, so much.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Howdy and welcome! Do you have any pics of your Bronco? That would give us a better idea of what to suggest. Any reason you are set on 36s?

D ROCK

For that much on road time, I'd do some 33x12.50x15's with a 3.5" lift just because it looks cool and are cheaper than 36's.

Louie

Bronco Guru
With a 77, watch your backspace on wheels. Go 3.5" or less on 15" wheels. My M/T Challengers just barely clear with 3.5". In fact, the weights got shaved a few millimeters :eek:

I'm putting a like new set of Mickey Thompson 15x8 Classic Locks with 3 5/16 backspace in classifieds in a few minutes. Perfect size & good looks ;);)

Here's a pic of them...

Attachments

• 77 Bronco 3.JPG
    77 Bronco 3.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 48

Broncobowsher

Total hack
for a daily driver a set of 33's will be much more livable and not eat wheel bearings and ball joints. The brakes will work a lot better as well. Beyond 33's it just gets too high maintance for a daily driver.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And in lieu of pics. give us a laundry list of what you've done so far. Things such as steering and suspension and body modifications might help in the consideration of what to get.

Paul

matt w

Bronco Guru
I went 33's and 3-1/2 lift and it works fine for all but the knarliest rock crawling!

....I did not re-gear & it its easy to get in and out of & reach gear in & out of on the trail!..Shoot I can even get my 70 plus year old mom into it with a little help heh-heh!

I will soon add a front locker and chase some of the other guys that are on larger tires!;);D

So far I am way happy I did not go with a taller lift as I have owned plenty of taller rides in the past!

IMHO 33's work fine if you know what your doing out on the trail.;)..well except for the knarly rock stuff.

ps my cheap steel wheels were like 40 each from summit. ;>);)

Attachments

• #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Bronco Bikes.jpg
    Bronco Bikes.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Roll Cage.jpg
    Roll Cage.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I'd say there are many ways to look at, big for looks and crawling, smaller for performance, or mid-range for a little of both. If you don't have a big lift, then 33s are great. If you're at 3.5" of lift or above, you might consider 35s as they fill the gap a bit better for looks. That's what I did with mine and IMO it looks pretty good. It still has lots of power and I have no issues braking (oem..no power assist).

Whatever you decide, it will be awesome! Good luck.

Attachments

• CIMG5649.jpg
    CIMG5649.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 23

Amac70

ME
one of these on a nice teflon coated wheel.

5167hO57rxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

37x12.5x17 bfg
imagemagic.php

37x12.5x17 pit bull rocker

imagemagic.php