• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulled Smog - What to use to block holes in heads?

techlaf

Contributor
'75 Stock 302 with carb. I'm taking the thermactor smog pump off and all its accoutrements (but I'm holding on to it just in case). I need to plug up the two holes in the heads where the smog equipment screwed in. It's about a 1.25" X 1" hole that's threaded at the bottom for a bolt. There is an open port inside the hole I'm guessing I need to block?

Can I just put a washer on the outside of the head and screw a bolt through the washer into the threads?

Anything else I should do when removing smog?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You have an early thermactor head. A heavy washer will work. I had a machine shop cut a steel slug with a step for the copper washer on some '77 heads. I can't remember if they had a 5/16" or a 3/8" bolt.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I recently did the same thing. Got freeze plugs from napa that I installed that did the trick. No real need to seal a washer with bolt.

BFD305

Loc.
Greeley, Colorado
They sell Thermactor plugs. Should be able to get them at the parts store or off of ebay. They are cheap and look good when they are in. You just need to clean up the threads in the holes a bit and they well screw right in. You may want to thread a bolt in first just to be sure the threads are clean. Or just use a bolt.

The thread size in the head is 5/8-11.
The size of the thread in the Thermactor Plug (part # F4ZZ-6E086-A) is 5/16-18.
If you can't find the Thermactor Plugs, you can use a 5/8-11 x 3/4" long bolt from your local Hardware Store to plug the hole in the head.

Sturube

My old rig had a glob of what looked like brazing solder in the port on the original crossover pipe from when the PO disconnected the smog equipment. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
They sell Thermactor plugs. Should be able to get them at the parts store or off of ebay. They are cheap and look good when they are in. You just need to clean up the threads in the holes a bit and they well screw right in. You may want to thread a bolt in first just to be sure the threads are clean. Or just use a bolt.

The thread size in the head is 5/8-11.
The size of the thread in the Thermactor Plug (part # F4ZZ-6E086-A) is 5/16-18.
If you can't find the Thermactor Plugs, you can use a 5/8-11 x 3/4" long bolt from your local Hardware Store to plug the hole in the head.

You are talking about the later version Thermactor head. The ones in question have larger holes on the side of the head in addition to the ones on the ends.