• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer power steering pump question

krisbassett

I'm gathering all the parts do do power steering and power brakes. I am going with a hydroboost and the Explorer pump. There is a plug in the back of the pump next to the return port. I was wondering if I can remove this plug and add another fitting for the return line off of the hydroboost?

IMG_20101017_144005.jpg

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Hmm, that's interesting. I never noticed it. That'd be awesome if you could just thread a hose barb in it. Much easier than putting one in the plastic res like I did!

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Well......it looks like a return port to me. Seems to be in the same cavity as the return port that's already being used.

IMG_20101018_110100.jpg

IMG_20101018_110117.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That back side of the plug looks like it directs return flow into the inlet of the pump. Hard to predict what might happen if you disrupt that flow.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Not to be Captain Obvious here, but why not call PSC and ask those guys about your idea. No need to reinvent the wheel. If it works, then you can be the hero for us all. You could also measure the depth of the plug you removed VS the depth of the tube there. Looking at the shape of the plug, it looks like it would seal on the inner tube...at least to some extent. I would call some tech-savvy shops and ask some Qs. As well, if you can score a tech-diagram, it might tell you how the pump functions and that might give you a better idea.... I would call PSC.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I run a stock PS box, Explorer pump with hydroboost. I just tee'd the return into the line as close to the pump as possible, never been a problem on the street or the trail.

Ben

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

I have not called yet. It slipped my mind after my Elk hunt started. I will try and remember to call about it tomorrow.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
shooting moose must be fun.:cool: no Elk in my part of the country, My in-laws used to shoot deer down in baja. but is was just a chance to go get drunk with out the wives.

keep us posted.

it would be nice to avoid the T or Y before pump return.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
PSC will custom fit a TC pump into your Explorer bracket :)

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
If you did this, you would be bypassing the reservoir. The reservoir is there to make sure fluid is always available for intake. If you go direct to the pump from your gearbox or hydroboost, you may starve the pump.

A tee or Y works just fine.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Thanks Dan, I forget that the reservoir is detached, same as my 05 Navigator. I am hopefully getting all the explorer front dress Saturday, better make sure I get the reservoir ;D