• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did the 66-69 blinker swap, now they aren't working??

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I don't understand, the procedure was painless and there was nothing that should have affected the way the lights operate, I used the same bulbs and harnesses as before. The only thing I noticed was on the old ones the bracket grounding straps did not transfer to the new setup. I had to cut them off to make them work (as per suggested by the classic broncos tech article). The lights seem to both pulse at the same time no matter which direction I flip the blinker bar. And they pulse at the same time but barely enough to see in the daylight. You have to cup your hands around them to notice. Its pissing me off because I have no idea what would cause that symptom.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Refresh me, what article for converting the turn signals?

I *think* I might know what is happening. It may be a bad tech article if it is doing what I think it is. But I don't want to go off without properly referencing what has been done.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like the grounds are bad and the lights are grounding through the turn signal indicators hence the dimness. Add a good ground.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like the grounds are bad and the lights are grounding through the turn signal indicators hence the dimness. Add a good ground.

I am thinking the same thing. But I want to see the instructions and see if they are faulty. I think they are off of someone elses discription of using a cheap truck turn signal with a single filiment bulb and no ground. Hense the bad engineering aproach I am thinking. But without jumping to too many conclusions until I know what was done.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Refresh me, what article for converting the turn signals?

I *think* I might know what is happening. It may be a bad tech article if it is doing what I think it is. But I don't want to go off without properly referencing what has been done.

Here is the link:

Early Turn Signals

I will be ticked if it's a faulty write up, as it is advertised by the most notorious Bronco community website.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX

Right now there is no ground wire, the harness "cups" (the part the bulb mounts into) are currently just hard mounted to the grille as per required by the write up. I guess now that I think about it there really isn't any bare metal to metal contact between the two, other than the screw going through the newly drilled holes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, that is good tech. Looks like you need a better ground. Try running a jumper ground to the bulb and see if it works better. I just wedge a stripped end of a wire between the bulb and the socket and ground the other end. Just go through the front with the lens off. If that makes things happy, it is a ground issue.

If not, I really don't know what it could be.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
OK, that is good tech. Looks like you need a better ground. Try running a jumper ground to the bulb and see if it works better. I just wedge a stripped end of a wire between the bulb and the socket and ground the other end. Just go through the front with the lens off. If that makes things happy, it is a ground issue.

If not, I really don't know what it could be.

Will try first thing Wed morning when I get to see it from the paint booth. Thanks for the direction =]