• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Compression reading for used 5.0?

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know what a good compression range would be for a used explorer 5.0 engine. I just found one that reads "120-140" in the ad? I'm still new at this and wasn't sure if that is low or in the right range. Thanks.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
That is a running range. It takes at least 90 lbs. to fire. Good of course is near 130/140, so that is fairly good. Lots of things can cause improper readings, weak battery, too many hits or strokes (I like four hits), throttle blade not fully open or air intake restriction, and failing parts.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I put a used Mountaineer 5.0 in my EB and if I remember correctly the compression readings I got were between 125 - 135.

I'll look for the paper I wrote it all on and see if I can confirm, but I think that's right.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The actual pressure in one cylinder will depend on too many variables (how long the oil has been allowed to run down to the pan, temperature, ambient pressure, humidity, head gasket thickness, lifter type...), so there is no spec for it. A compression test only compares the pressure in each cylinder to the others. Read this caption: