• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body lift pucks- what can one use?

hmh800

So I've got the 351 and ZF mounted up, and it's not going to clear the stock hood with the WH 1" body lift I've got. Looks like another 1/2" should get me there. Instead of buying a 2" kit, I'm thinking of finding some rugged plastic of some kind that I can hole saw some disks out of to stack on the 1" body mounts. Any leads on where one can get 1/2" or 3/4" think plastic or nylon or similar material?

OP
OP
H

hmh800

Okay, I've found some products online. Now I'm wondering what would be the best material? Polyethelene, polypropylene, polystyrene, UHMW, PVC, etc. etc.? Too many options!

OP
OP
H

hmh800

I thought of the hockey puck route but I'm looking for something thinner- either 1/2" or 3/4" thick.

71' Bronc

Loc.
Bozeman
Fishing boats like Lund come with a plastic plywood instead of the old marine ply, you can buy it in sheets like plywood and I think it comes in 1/2 inch and I think different colors also. Lit is like cutting board material.....which is an option if you really want to be Mcgyver!

dgold_881

Contributor
You can call the guys at http://www.airbagit.com/ They will make you some aluminum pucks for body spacers. There prices are cheap I bought all eight of mine for less than 20bucks.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Find some thick washers at an industrial supply store. I've seen them at 1/4" thick, stack 2 on each and be done. You might even get away with 1? I found some at a hardware store once and seem to think they might have even been called body washers.

OP
OP
H

hmh800

Right on guys! Tonight I'm going to use some clay to find out exactly how much clearance I have with the 2" spacers currently under the body. Seems that a few have managed to fit a 351efi motor with exploder upper/gt40 lower with only a 1" body lift, but I have my doubts. I'll let you know. The hole for the ZF will need to get bigger for sure.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Delrin is another good material. simmilar to Aluminum, but it's a plastic. Easy to machine.

I have used hockey pucks in the past, but they are a bit thicker than you want.

Personally I would just use some stacked fender washers that are welded together, but that is a bit ghetto.

If you are looking to do this right, make sure to make the tubes that go thru the middle of the mounts longer so that they go thru your "washers" also. That will keep the entire mount acting as one peice. Not doing this on my hocky puck lift was probably the biggest mistake of that adventure.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
The best luck I had was with an old tire and a hole saw. It took a while and smelled something terrible but I came out with great body shims. Tread area for thick shims and side wall for thinner stuff.

OP
OP
H

hmh800

Thanks again for the responses. I checked the hood-intake clearance tonight and 1 1/2" gives a good 3/8" clearance to the front of the intake. So, some 1/2" material is what I'm after. I'm hoping that the WH 1" lift came with long enough bolts that there's an extra 1/2" on the ends... haven't tried that yet.