• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Street Rod" Bronco...

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
After being a mostly a voyeur on the "Lower my Bronco" thread I thought I would start my own since they are in the final stages of their project.
My project will be similar but most likely the time span will take longer. I am hoping the encouragement will help keep me focused ;) I am going for a Pro street appearance.

I purchased a 74 for the project but after getting it I could not cut it up because it was too clean.

So... I purchased a tub that needed some care. Unfortuately I now have doubled the effort. Not only was it rusted but the previous owner welded plate steel on top of everything.

Pics as received...
As you can see from the outside... looks pretty nice...

Attachments

• IMGP1627.jpg
    IMGP1627.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IMGP1628.jpg
    IMGP1628.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMGP1626.jpg
    IMGP1626.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 274
  • IMGP1629.jpg
    IMGP1629.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I have spent the last year collecting some of the parts until I found another tub that I could afford. This will be a budget build using as many CB and craigslist parts as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
A couple shots of the floor arghhh...

Attachments

• IMGP1630.jpg
    IMGP1630.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 513
  • IMGP1637.jpg
    IMGP1637.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 524
  • IMGP1640.jpg
    IMGP1640.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Project work day 1
Tear apart 95% of Bronco torn down...

Project work day 2
Brace portion of tub and begin rust removal

Attachments

• front inners_1.jpg
    front inners_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 453
  • bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 469
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Did some more "cutting" I had to get the top out of the driveway. I have enough parts laying around. I cut up the spare hard top for parts just in case something is required when I begin the chop. I believe I may have to extend the top a bit.
Oh... and a cut Jami a piece of the top so that he can fill in a sun roof hole on a half cab he is thinking about buying. Sides and gate were decent so... up in the garage attic they went.

Plasma cutters work great on this stuff...

Attachments

• extra top parts.jpg
    extra top parts.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Not much of the original floor will be left when tucking the wheels under the body. On the hunt for some wheel wells,floor section and some rectangular tubing.

I do not want to cut much more up until I get some strength back into the tub. What a rust bucket... Frame will need to move inboard 3" each side at the rear along with a c channel to lower. I have two frames to work with, I may use them for the modifications rather than purchasing a tub kit.

Attachments

• street bronco_project1.jpg
    street bronco_project1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Getting a game plan for the rear of the tub. Based on feedback in the lower my Bronco thread I will raise the floor. (Not as much as suggested, I will only go about 2" higher) This will help get the stance lower and help me get to some weldable material.

I need to start out by replacing the brace at the tail gate.

To start cutting I needed to support this up more... otherwise It will fall apart.

I'll hang the body from the new brace . Have to get some sawhorses, and I can begin to cut the rusted mess. Anyone have any extra wheelwells or flooring they want to sell reasonable /or trade Please PM me.

Attachments

• extra support.jpg
    extra support.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 295

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hell a couple of 55 gallon drums would be a good start for me. But then again, I am cheap when it comes to fab work! ;D

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I hear you... I found some channel Iron clamped it to the new brace ran it to the floor and presto temporary stand.

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
So since I had a temp stand I began cutting away. I used an arsonel of tools. Plasma cutter, saws all, grinders and even some snips.

Roughed in the cuts, next is to finalize the cuts to the correct placement 2" above the old floor level and I am ready to stitch in a new brace.

After tossing out some scrap, I had the idea of taking a shot of some of the removed scrap. Should have grabbed it all.
As if 1 layer of steel was not enough, it had to be topped with layers and then angle iron?

A rusted bronco is easier than a rusted Bronco fixed(If that is what this can be called). Be thankful when you are only dealing with rust ;)

Attachments

• lh_brace_cut.jpg
    lh_brace_cut.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 270
  • rh_brace_cut.jpg
    rh_brace_cut.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 254
  • scrap_cut.jpg
    scrap_cut.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Had some more Bronco time...
Cut rear posts to a height where as I had some solid material for welding. The Floor will be raised about 2.5-3" once completed.

After cutting folded flanges to look similar to original weld flange. Rather than purchasing new brace I purchased retangular tube stock of same thickness. Once all the pieces are in place it should still look close to the original. The goal is to have an original appearance however it will be highly modified.

Brace clamped in place...

Going to head to the front of the cargo pan. I need to do something similar. Once also in place I will measure for proper tail gate fit. and weld in place.

With so much rust the inners will need to be removed, new brackets created etc.

Traded some parts for a new floor pan,and sheet metal behind seats.. also have some used wheel tubs being sent by Houston that will be used to create the new wider wheel tubs to stuff the large tires under.

Attachments

• new_brace.jpg
    new_brace.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 156
  • new_brace_Dr2.jpg
    new_brace_Dr2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 141
  • new_brace_dr1.jpg
    new_brace_dr1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 138
  • flanged_rear_ps.jpg
    flanged_rear_ps.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 144
  • flanged_rear_dr.jpg
    flanged_rear_dr.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
How many layers of sheetmetal does it take to get to...
A one, a two, a three...

This mess is the inner fender just under the brace that is on striker plate area/door post?
Plan is to peel away some more and create the new brace to replace both sides. I will create some tabs and weld the floor support just like the back one.

Then I can remove the rest of the cargo floor and rear inners. I think that once that garbage is gone it may look at lot better. I can tuck the wheels under to start seeing how to fit the new flooring/inners and tubs. That is when it will start getting to be a little more fun ;)

I'll try strengthen it and add some metal, but leave as much open as possible, I may want to take it to get sandblasted before I weld panel that prevent access from areas that may need cleaning.

Attachments

• door post brace_dr.jpg
    door post brace_dr.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 134
  • door post brace_dr2.jpg
    door post brace_dr2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Went in the garage for a bit on Saturday... The steel for the brackets required .063 (16 gauge) Harbor freight brake will not work with that thickness.

Had to pull out my mallet and create the drivers side brace by hand.

Hopefully get a chance to go out today to finish the pass side. I want the rusty panels and floor out!

Attachments

• brk_3.jpg
    brk_3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 146
  • brk_2.jpg
    brk_2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 126
  • brk_1.jpg
    brk_1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 139

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Cool buildup 77. Subscribing to this buildup to see where you go with it.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Went in the garage for a bit on Saturday... The steel for the brackets required .063 (16 gauge) Harbor freight brake will not work with that thickness.

Had to pull out my mallet and create the drivers side brace by hand.

Hopefully get a chance to go out today to finish the pass side. I want the rusty panels and floor out!

It's never as easy as it first looks. It is a pain to have to dig into something only to find out you have to build/buy another part. It is a great feeling when you finally cross that bridge though and can look back! Keep up the good work!:cool:

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I decided to look at how I was going to weld in the new brace. After looking it over I believe that it goes over the inner. So...

I went another direction I ended up getting more done than expected today. Really on my way to a rust free Bronco.

Previous owner did put new striker and lower quarters. I was happy to see that he actually left the weld flange on the lower quarter. Best news todate...
The flanges on the upper were totally rotted out. He welded a small channel on the upper to the inner pieces that were patched in. This truck is a lot lighter after getting rid of up to 3 layers of 12 gauge plate?(some areas)

I may pick up the upper quarter/inners.

Attachments

• inners_removed.jpg
    inners_removed.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 154
  • inner_removed2.jpg
    inner_removed2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 160
  • DR_BRACE.jpg
    DR_BRACE.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Yikes... outer/inner combo is pricey...

Need to look for a decent set of upper quarters with a good flanges for bonding. If I can find maybe I can just make the inners.

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Created the floor brace for the front of the Cargo area. (Also where the new Body mounts will be located). At this point it is located correctly but only welded to the striker plate Eventually it will be welded to a brace that runs down to the inner rocker. (similar to the original), The support will be welded to a flange on the inner quarter and will also be welded to the new fabed braces that sandwiches inner/to the outer quarter. Brace are same thickness as original channelmaterial, only in tube form.

I set in the floor pan to get an idea of the new bed height.
The new floor measure 16 1/4" from the top of rail.

I will be stopping by Tom's at the Bronco Ranch, this week. After talking with him he mentioned he has the upper outer quarters, and other tub pieces I am in need of... This will be much cheaper than buying the pieces new . Trying to saving money for other items such as narrowing the rear end, frame tube, etc...

The front of this brace is were both the drivers side and passenger side will raise to meet the cargo area. The floor pans will remain at the lowest level, removing the original step as on the driver side. This will allow for additional head room if the chop is radical.

Attachments

• floor braces_1.jpg
    floor braces_1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 91
  • floor braces_2.jpg
    floor braces_2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited: