• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake light/blinker headache

agent_orange73

So i cant get my drivers side blinker and brake lights to work. The passenger lights work fine but whenever i hit the brakes or blinker those are the only ones that come on. The dash turn signal comes for the drivers side but it doesnt blink.

I recently swapped out my 73 auto steering column for a 68 three-on-the-tree column and some of the wires didnt match up (they all had the same functions but the colors were different). I'm pretty sure that's where the problem lies but i've been all through the thing with a wiring diagram and a volt meter but no dice.

Any ideas?

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
this problem drove me nuts. check and recheck all your wires, connections, and grounds. I had a loose connection with the driver side wires.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Try the hazard lights. If you still see problems it's not in the column wiring. Check the front and rear grounds. Turn indicator staying on is a clue that the front turn circuit is incomplete.

70 sport WA

Had the same problem with my 75 F250. Turned out to be a bad socket--after I changed the turn signal switch, the headlight switch, and I can't remember what else!--which you can get at auto parts store for about $8.

New socket will allow you to plug in the bulb both ways (the tabs are a bit different than the stock sockets) so try both ways. But first check grounds.