• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lincoln Mark VII

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I hope I made a good buy today as I bought a complete Lincoln Mark VII with a 5.0 HO. I am wanting to rebuild the engine and put it in my 73. I want to keep the efi but I know it is speed density. I spoke with someone at BC Broncos today and though helpful, they left me with more questions than answers... (funny how that works when your a gear head learning something new..) I need to know what I will need to convert to MAF, I am planning on using the RJM harness. The tech told me that the serp setup wont work? Can someone shed some light on it? (I want to add A/C as well). I am also looking at the NV3550 but was told it is not a good choice?? Any horror stories? My rig will be on 33 or 35's when done and appropriate gearing. I want a fun DD with probably 15% of OR use. Any thoughts/ pictures/ advice wil be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

statella43

Loc.
York PA
I did the same thing except I went with the Vbelt set up. I bought a RJM harness a A9L computer and a mass air sensor out of a mustang. I got the tube, the mass air sensor and A9L computer for $120 shipped. If you go vbelt I bought a harmonic dampner from bcbroncos that has the correct ballancw for the newer motor but has the right bolt pattern for the vbelt pulleys. If you stay serp you don't need to worry about it. Good luck!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I read somewhere that removing the smog pump (which I will) makes all the clearence needed. My end goal is to have a clean factory appearence with all the goodies todays technology offers.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I have an '87 lsc motor in mine. It does fit but here's what Ive seen.

The bracket on the passenger side is different than the mustang one. It holds the large body G1 alternator. It is the same depth for belt alignment purposes.

I never tried to fit the smog pump.

The acc. brackets on the drivers side are the same as the mustang 5.0 from 87.
I used the FMS a/c delete kit to move the P/S pump up to the top of the motor.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
You should have no problem installing the engine as it sits in the car. You will need to reuse your exhaust manifolds, and you will need a flywheel or flex plate with the correct weight(50oz) to match your clutch/torque converter. Dont get rid of the Mk 7 tranny. It is a good candidate to be adapted to a Bronco 20 TC, and does well in a Bronco. Stay factory Speed density, and use the computer and harness from the donor, unless you are going for major mods on the engine. You will have to get creative on routing radiator hoses, unless a special water pump or radiator is installed

TheLimeRanger

i would not recommend using the stock harness from the Mark VII. WAY too much stuff mixed in with it. Much more stuff/info available for Mass air even if you are stock.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Great info. So far I am planning on the RJM harness and have sourrced an A9L computer along with the MAF and tube. I will be rebuilding the engine (and have asked advice in another area as to what I should do) and I will definitely be changing the cam to get my torque curve in the right spot for cruising. I am planning a 3G swap so if the bracket it has is for the 1G, it should swap over with some minor clearencing. I am planning on using the BC Broncos headers and exhaust as well as an NV3550, 33" tires, 1" BL, 3"SL and 4.10 gears with true tracs front and rear. The gearing may change a bit when I start crunbching numbers with the cam I select to achieve the right RPMs for cruising but from what I have read, I think I have a good starting point. The jury is still out on going to 35's, I am a short fat guy and dont want a step lader to get in it but I want to have tires that look right for the bronco. I have 36's on my F250 and they just look to big for my EB

TheLimeRanger

im no genius when it comes to matching cam profiles, with transmission and rear end gearing, but i have 4.10's and 31's and it howls pretty good at 55mph.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
From what I have read, you figure your cruise speed, gear ratio, overdrive and tire diameter to find your approx RPM then you call the cam mfg to find the best suited for your RPM and what you want to do with it..... I think I can do it...

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
My 351 with 410 gears, and 35" KMII's cruises comfortably at 2600 rpms at 65 according to GPS. With 456 gears it was 3000rpm at 65. The engine did not seem to mind the 3000 rpm, but I always felt it was too much. Here is a little more useless info for ya... Before EFI I was getting 14-15 mpg with a Qjet, HEI dizzy, and 410 gearing. Post EFI(basically the same route you are taking by piecing all the crap together) has netted me a whopping 9-10 mpg. I have changed injector sizes, MAF, as well as TB and manifold porting. The A9 computer should not have any issues compensating for the cam, as long as it is a mild change.
I think a 5.0 with a mild RV cam, 65mm TB, with the upper intake properly ported, 410 gears, and 33" tires, and the NV3550 would be a great combo. I dont remember the OD stats on the 3550, like .17 or .23, either way is good. Its just my opinion

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
OK, what is properly porting on the upper intake? I am probably going to keep the stock heads and have them ported and polished as well as gasket matched. I was going to gasket match the intake but porting it... is there something I am missing? This is my first go at EFI.....

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Ford used a couple different sized intakes on their 5.0 engines. Most LTD type cars had the small hole (53mm) size intake, Mustangs had 55mm to 60mm openings and I read there were some even up to the 65mm range. (These are the holes behind the Throttle body). The intakes look the same, but the throttle bodies were different. Most speed density cars(LTD, Lincoln) had the smaller TB, and 14gph injectors(grey) Mk IIV with HO had 55 and 60 mm TB with 19gph injectors(orange). GT and Cobra Mustangs had 60 and 65 mm TB and ran either 19 or 24GPH injectors(blue). If you go to an aftermarket TB 65mm or larger, you will need to port out the opening behind the TB, other wise you will not see the benifits of the larger TB. This will also "confuse" the computer, and possibly give you erratic idles, poor performance etc. The MAF also plays into this air in/air out scenario, and must be properly matched. There is a ton of stuff available, and lots have folks here have tried many combos. RJM tech is another manuafacture that has a ton of info on Ford EFI swaps as well. Just dont expect him to respond to any emails. He is a fast shipper though when you order. I'm not trying to confuse or turn you off on this issue, it just helps to understand how it all works before you start putting things together and expecting it to work right the first time you turn the key! I am also living vicariously thru these forums as my Bronco and other toys are a couple thousand miles away!!

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I got distracted. I am running a performance 65mm TB with the EGR deleted, My first Upper intake was a 55mm size, and I used a die grinder and a dremel to open the hole up to 65mm, but busted thru the wall before I got to the desired width. It was supposedly a mustang intake, but not. I bought another thru ebay A9p, valve covers for $50, and it was a 6omm. I was able to open it up no problem to 65mm.