• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 axle leak HELP

jperry1290

how do I fix a leaky dana 30 front axle on the drivers side? what seals are needed? what else should I replace while I am doing this?

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Axle seal? The seal is on the inside of the housing. You have to remove the carrier from the housing and replace it from the inside. Not a hard job just a lot of work for an oil seal.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Maybe my D30 is different but the axle seal is in the END of the axle tube out by the brakes. I have mine apart on the work bench now and I am waiting on the seal to show up (along with a zillion other parts). Advance has them.

You need to take off everything to get at it. This may help you as a shortcut to reduce the total amount of wrenching: take off the brake line, unbolt the tie rod and remove the upper and lower king pins ( 4bolts on top and 4 bolts ont he bottom of the casting that the tie rod bolts to). Then you can slide the brake drum, brake backing plate (with all pieces intact), steering arm, locking hub, stub axle and axle all out of the axle housing as ONE piece. It is heavy but then you do not have to mess with the brakes, wheel bearings, locking hubs etc. This will leave the end of the axle tube exposed and you can pry out the old seal and tap in the new one. Slide the whole assembly back in, install king pins and tie rods. Bleed brakes and you are done.

If you want to take this apart and inspect as you go the only special tool you need is the socket for the nut to remove the drum then you can take it apart in pieces.

I learned this because it was late and I did not have the socket so I pulled out the king pins and slid the whole thing out of the way! Hope it helps.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe my D30 is different but the axle seal is in the END of the axle tube out by the brakes. .

Its different all right. The OP will still want to change the original axle seals that are either side of the pumpkin..even if his has had seals added at the ends too.

What did you order to replace what was there?..and what do seals at the ends of the tube actually seal on?..the axles are normally 'unfinished OD' at that end?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Its different all right. The OP will still want to change the original axle seals that are either side of the pumpkin..even if his has had seals added at the ends too.

What did you order to replace what was there?..and what do seals at the ends of the tube actually seal on?..the axles are normally 'unfinished OD' at that end?

yeah that is odd, just went through walking my daughters boyfriend through this on his 79 D44 he thought there was an outer seal too but there isn't. while you have it apart check your wheel bearings and u-joints

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO

My Dana 30 had seals on the end of the axle as well. I don't remember if it actually had a machined surface or not for sealing. And I can't remember if I was able to get replacements when I rebuilt my axel. As stated eariler, the ones by the pumpkin keep the oil in. I vaguely remember my dad putting the outer seals in to keep water and mud out during hunting season.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Thanks for the tip pcf_mark. I just redid all the seals and bearings in the hubs so I dont want to do it again. As I understand it there is an outer axle seal and inner axle seal, can anyone confirm this? Any links would be helpful since I cant locate any write ups online.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Inner axle seal is factory and any outer seal is aftermarket.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
OK - I wonder what I am getting form Advance when the box arives! If is the outer aftermarket one can I skip replacing the inner to fix a leaky seal? MY D30 almost empty from the PO.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
OK - I wonder what I am getting form Advance when the box arives! If is the outer aftermarket one can I skip replacing the inner to fix a leaky seal? MY D30 almost empty from the PO.
Not sure how this went but mine has factory outer seals as well and my axle has never been apart. Look in the WH catalog and it will show them in the pic. The shaft and end tube is also machined from the factory for the seal so Bax is wrong in the above post.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Wrong is such a harsh word. I prefer only half right. It appears that there is a seal for the inner and the outer part of the housing. I have never seen the outer seal in a 30. But they sell it so it must be. Do you need both? does one replace the other? I have never seen a machined surface on the outer part of the axle for the seal to run on. I have not looked too hard but Wrong? yeah it happens.