• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would you use a hotsey with bare metal exposed?

hmh800

Hey guys-
Got the body off the frame and on the rotisserie this weekend. There is a bunch of tar undercoating (filth muck) in areas of the underside. It's factory I assume. I would like to hotsey it off there, but I have already stripped a bunch of the topside. Do I need to worry about the flash rust that I'll get on the topside? My plan is to use 2 part liner on the whole underside, and I'm between body color liner on the floor or just paint inside the body. Sorry about the long post but I'm at a crossroads here. Oh yeah threw in a pic of the 351/zf/D20 combo in the frame too.

Attachments

• IMG_9081_1_2_1.jpg
    IMG_9081_1_2_1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9083_2_1.jpg
    IMG_9083_2_1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9110_1_1.jpg
    IMG_9110_1_1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 96

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
It doesn't look like you have much. If you haven't put any heat to it to soften it up yet try an air needle scaler. Should rattle the stuff right off. Flapper wheel works too.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well, I wet sand bare steel. I would do it, just make sure to use compressed air and some towels to get everything dry as fast as you can and you should be fine. You still have to sand it all down or media blast before you put down anykind of primer anyways so that would take care of any flash rust that you have.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice setup.
Is that a 351 upper intake? (edit:) I meant to say "truck" upper, but we're always talking about how tall the 5.8 is, so I automatically went that way.

Paul

OP
OP
H

hmh800

The upper intake is exploder. It is still tall! I'm trying to fit it under a 1" BL, but it would be tight. I thought of machining 1/4" off the bottom of the intake, but that seems like a lot of extra work.
As far as flash rust goes, this is dry (and cold) CO. This thing has been bare metal in my garage for a year, and no rust.