• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removed Top - Finishing Edge

wthayden

Loc.
Houston, Texas
I recently removed my EB's top for the first top. Obviously, the post where the top was in contact with the body is kind of a mess. I could sand it down and paint it to match the body, but I was wondering if anybody had any alternative recommendations (and pictures). Did anyone somehow cap that top part? Is this all custom, or does someone sell a product that does that? It would nice to avoid repainting.

Thanks.

Last edited:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had diamond plate bed rail caps...

bought em on ebay, I think...

attachment.php

Wanted to be sure the bed rails stayed in good shape ;D

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Im thinking about getting some smooth ones and welding studs on the underside so the hardware is hidden and easy to remove. I think I've seen them on ebay under "early Bronco". Diamond plate and smooth.

OP
OP
W

wthayden

Loc.
Houston, Texas
lonesouth, that looks awesome.

i am assuming that, in the event you wanted to install a softop like bestop, you would have to remove the caps? is that overly difficult?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I simply drilled the mounting holes to match 2 of the holes from the hard top. Same with the toolbox, mounts to an existing hole, using hard top hardware...

TN1776

Bronco Guru
When I lined the inside of my body tub I brought the spray on liner over the top of the rails. It offers good protection and I'd do it again.

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
previous owner put bedliner carried the bedliner over the bedrails where the hardtop contacts the body. i'm not a big fan of the look, but its very convenient and provides excellent protection.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
When I stripped and sanded the interior, I used RustBullet Silver and BlackShell and brought it up over the edge. The stuff is hard as nails and should last a while.

I don't know what happened with this 2nd picture of the rail...it looks like there is a yellow streak in it but it's just a reflection.

Attachments

• CIMG5196.jpg
    CIMG5196.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG5206.jpg
    CIMG5206.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34