• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window removal from hardtop

mudmagnet63

Loc.
Geary OK.
It's time to start working on the top so pepe is drivable this winter. All of the windows are in good shape and I need to remove them. Body shop guy says cut the rubbers and they will come right out. I don't want to crack a window any suggestions?

Mud

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
He is correct, sharp utility knife and cut close to the steel. One good pro tool has a T handle rope and handle, the T is the blade allowing good firm grip and control... which is what everyone needs!

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Nope. Not necessary on the hard top windows. start at a corner and Just grab with your hand the rubber on both corners about 2 inches in at the same time and pull it up, with your other hand push (gently) on the glass at that corner, once it's started it's easy.
I removed all my windows in about 15 minutes doing this this summer. Saved my gaskets too.

strokedaddy347

Purchase a couple of glass suction cups from Napa (the kind used for glass instulation/removal) they are not very expensive. It gives you good control when handling your window glass. When reinstalling your glass use a foaming window cleaner around the rubber gasket, this helps lube it and ease instulation. A second set of hands a(a friend) always helps.

1970 Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, Calif.
foaming window cleaner is great but you can also just use soap and water
soak the rope you are using to install the gasket in the soap and water and also apply around the gasket
and like Stroke said an extra set of hands on the outside while your installing the gasket from the inside sure helps