• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winch wiring question

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
So I want to put a switch on the hot lead to my winch so I can disconnect it when not needed.

What I'm thinking is: I have the fender mounted starter solenoid that is not used anymore since I went to a mini starter, I can run the hot lead to the winch to it, then put a switch in the cab hooked to the S terminal of the solenoid. When I want power to the winch I hit that switch, it closes the solenoid and voila' power to the winch.

My question: Is the starter solenoid robust enough to handle the constant duty cycle for winching?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I would say no, and would reccomend getting a marine or drag racing style battery disconnect. Mount the switch down near the winch and it's OFF, and much simpler/cleaner.

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Ah...that's no fun though! I'm already running control wires into the cab for the winch though, so it wouldn't be a big deal to pull one more wire in. But, I guess since I will obviously be near the winch when I need the winch, having a switch in the cab isn't really helping me much....

Thanks, sometimes I get a little rube-goldbergian on stuff...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Ah...that's no fun though! I'm already running control wires into the cab for the winch though, so it wouldn't be a big deal to pull one more wire in. But, I guess since I will obviously be near the winch when I need the winch, having a switch in the cab isn't really helping me much....

get one that uses the duel battery set up and it should handle it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
You need a solenoid that can handle constant duty, as it will be closed for a long time, unlike a intemittant starter solenoid.
Also it will need to be rated at 300 amps or what ever your winch will pull umder load... Cables to match too

I bought one from a place called Kodiak Industries in Gilroy, Ca. But they are not $20 some bucks like Auto zone sells. Try the NAPA store, constant duty solenoid and the largest amperage that they can find... Make them get out the Book!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
BINGO! ;D The winch already contains those relays, and it already has a removeable wiring harness that controls them. Adding anything else will only create another failure point and decrease the voltage available to the winch motor. Unplugging the control pendant will do what you want. If you have dash controls, adding a kill switch in that circuit will do it.