• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD to D20 shft rod adjustment?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I used the AA kit, I can not fully engage 4X HIGH. Even 2 H is a little tough. 4Low no problem. I don't seem to have enough adjustment, or for that matter no adjustment.
The instructions mention the slight differnce between the C4 adapter housing and the new AOD - D20 housing is 3/8 longer. I think I should be able to remove the shift rod linkage from the shifter to the straight bar that connects the two shift rods. My thought is to cut the rod and thread, install a threaded coupling to allow for the rod to be adjusted.
Has anyone had this problem, if so what was the solution?
Thanks

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
when I did mine I got the twin sticks from JB Fab which are designed for this conversion. for a 130 bucks it is well worth it

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Are you using the J or T D20 transfer case? I think AA reccomends the T pattern case--maybe for this reason? I have the adapter kit and a t pattern D20 ready to go for a future project.

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I used two 5/16 threaded rod ends and two 5/16 bolts to secure an adjustable shift rod. I will use the JB fab shifter boot, 8" long covers the extended hole. Thanks for the site.