• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Zf swap pilot bushing question

Hurk

I put my new engine in today and was going to install the clutch .When I started going through my clutch kit I noticed there was a bearing type and bushing type pilot bushing ..which is the best way to go

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll probably get opinions going both ways, however I've had issues with needle bearings chewing up the input shaft when they go bad, something I've never had an issue with running plain bearings/bushings, so that's what I run. If everything aligns properly between your bellhousing and crankshaft and your input bearing is in good shape on your transmission, both should last a very long time...at least as long as your clutch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me too. The needle bearing type is probably slightly more "efficient" than a plain bearing type, but it's only in use when the clutch lever is depressed anyway, so efficiency doesn't come into play that much.
Maybe there's a bit more freeplay available, to counter a slightly offset main shaft? Dunno, but it's pretty hard to beat a plain old Bronze bushing. Nothing really to go wrong.

This clutch kit you've got. It is a conversion kit, correct? Not just a standard Bronco setup I mean? I'm guessing it's a conversion kit for use with the ZF, but just in case it's stock Bronco, make sure that the bushing/bearing slips over the snout of the trans shaft, and fits into the recess of the crank.
I assume it does, but it's better to make sure now, rather than later when you're bench-pressing the thing, and have 200 lbs of ZF over your chest!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, are we still supposed to soak them in oil overnight so that it's absorbed into the bushing? Or is that a thing of the past?

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, are we still supposed to soak them in oil overnight so that it's absorbed into the bushing? Or is that a thing of the past?

Paul

As far as I know, saoking them in 30 wt oil still considered good practice. The SAE 660 bronze that most "Oilite" bushings are made out of will lose oil over time, especially if it's been stored for a lengthy period of time at some auto parts store and/or distributor. It can be much worse if they're stored in a cardboard box or something similar that literally wicks the oil out of the bushing.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 more often than not is seems the needle bearing type fail more often. I like using the bronze ones when i can.