• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installation of Ball Joints New Questions 28 Nov 10

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I searched and found some specs, but not how to preload the top. Does anyone have the correct sequence. I ordered the special tool for the preload insert that goes on the top ball joint. The ball joints are really tight but still want to install them correctly on the torque and sequence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks found the info in the manual. have to pull the axles out to get to the bottom nut.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
got one side done and starting to put the disc on, here is my question. When done incorrectly, the knuckle was tight, done by the manual it turns pretty easy now. I am guessing it should turn easy. My other question is hub related. I bought a new hub from advance and the bearing races are installed, is it okay to use those or should I remove and replace with my timken races. thanks.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
got brand new timkens, but the hub came with pre installed races.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I installed my ball joints according to the Dana manual and they turn easily. IIRC there is a measurement that can be taken with a pull scale to tell if they are properly preloaded.

I wouldn't worry about changing the races unless they are cheap Chinese crap, or you have some spare time and are looking for something to do.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
will have to look at the box to see where they were made. probably just change them chances are they are chinese made.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I bought new hubs also and left the races in...they appeared to be good quality from what I could see. I've had no problems so far.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
broncodriver99-
could not copy n paste your great offering of a manuel. 'S OK cuz I got a D44 w/discs ('77) & yours is for drum front or rear application (jeep?).
Know where I can get one for my front diff or a ford 9"?
Thanks,

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
broncodriver99-
could not copy n paste your great offering of a manuel. 'S OK cuz I got a D44 w/discs ('77) & yours is for drum front or rear application (jeep?).
Know where I can get one for my front diff or a ford 9"?
Thanks,

Hmm. Should be a link and no need to copy and paste. Try clicking the link, letting it download, and then you can save it.

That is the only D44 manual I have. Steps should be the same just substitute Disk components for Drum.

Re-paste of original link: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.pdf

Here is a Dana hub manual that shows how to service the hub and some of the disk brake components: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5306-1.pdf

Calipers won't be covered by any Dana manual as they are Vehicle specific. (Ford, Chevy, Jeep)

Here's a good one for the Ford 9": http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/065/article/Ford_9_Inch_RebuildGear_Setup.html Again doesn't cover brakes as they were vehicle specific.

Best guide for brakes front or rear is a Haynes or Chilton manual.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
You're gunna hafta change yer name to SuperDude! That's great, thanks. No time to look right now, but I did save the post. It should R E A L Y set me up...
Love the bronk brother (sister) hood!

Hey every one check out these links out!