• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was throwing belts, found 4 bolt balancer with drilled/cracked pulley. Wait. 4 bolts?

adnedarn

Hello! My bronco has occasionally thrown belts ever since I got it at the start of the year. I picked up a replacement radiator and fan shroud but want to solve the belt problem before replacing this stuff. When running, the water pump and crank pulleys seemed to wobble a tiny bit, so I guess that is the problem. I pulled off all of the belts, and water pump and crank pulleys and found a tiny bit of play in the water pump so I'll get that replaced. I started it up with the crank pulley off, and found the play is also present in the balancer so I figured I'd replace that. When I started looking for a replacement I found that everything was talking about a 3 bolt balancer for my year. I went back out and checked out the pulley and found it was a 3 bolt and has been drilled out to be a 4 bolt. Plus, it is cracked. So what's the deal, from looking around I guess it is probably a newer 302, so I need to pick up a 4 bolt balancer and a 4 bolt pulley?
Thanks for your help!
Andrew

edit: "fancy", huh?

IMG_1838.JPG

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
The newer balancers you can get one set up to accept a 3 bolt or a 4 bolt. Mine came from Summit and it is 28 oz. and will take either pulley. Most of the new balancers on the market and aftermarket products are 4 bolt but will allow you to addapt your old pulley if you keep it.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
You check the casting numbers on your block yet? Look at the bottom of the block, just left (or right depending on which direction you crawl under the truck) of the starter. I found out my block was an '88 which explained why my new clutch would not bolt up.

AZ69EB

You need to take akafrankcastle's advice first. You need to find out if your engine is 28oz or 50oz imbalanced. This is a huge difference. If you put the wrong imbalanced balancer on your engine, you can destroy the crank bearings in a short time.

Check the block casting numbers.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Hi guys, thanks for he help/tips.
The block code is d2o3-6015-AB
So I guess it's a '72 Fairlane/Torino motor? I looked up a balancer on autozone and it shows a 28oz one. Unless there is a different/better way to look that up :p
72sport, your pulleys are the exact ones I was looking at.... when I found this. :p

Anything else this code tells me or that I should know about this motor as I move forward on stuff?

Thanks!!
Andrew

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
make sure you check the crank seal while you have everything out just in case all that play messeed up your seal.. Happened to mine when my blancer went bad. Rplaced the seal, balancer and pulley and no more play. Tight as a hat band.