• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal/ electrical help!

tbratz

I could use some direction (no pun intended) with a turn signal issue I am suddenly having. I have no turn signals, but when I press the brakes my front parking lights come on and also the turn signal indicator lights on the dash light up. I have checked all bulbs, fuses, etc. with no luck. It doesn't change anything if I turn the headlights on, I still get the same affect. All other tail lights, dash lights, brake lights etc. work as they should. I assume it is possibly a ground. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Brake light current is somewhat complex because it travels through the brake switch and then the turn signal switch before it gets to the bulbs. A key clue is that the turn indicators are lighting up. That says there is current in the front turn signal wires. Possible causes are bad grounds at the front and rear lights, bad turn signal switch, or just some screwy wiring in general.

Try the hazard switch. If it works the rear lights and wiring are probably ok and the problem is in the turn signal switch.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The turn signal switch in the column is screwed up. less headachs replaceing it than chasing down bad contacts or wiring. just did this in a 66. 2 days chasing, 20 min switch change.

OP
OP
tbratz

tbratz

Thanks, I have an aftermarket column in so I'll start there with the switch and connections.

Brent76401

Loc.
Stephenville
I just purchased a 73 Bronco a few months ago and have a question. Should the turn singles turn off upon completion of making the turn ? Might work, but require me to turn them off. Will replacing the switch correct that ? Thanks. Brent

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just purchased a 73 Bronco a few months ago and have a question. Should the turn singles turn off upon completion of making the turn ? Might work, but require me to turn them off. Will replacing the switch correct that ? Thanks. Brent

Yes they should. Most likely the plastic cancelling arms are broke from the switch but could also be missing parts on an aftermarket wheel adapter. I think the arms are separately replaceable on the switches.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
dorman sells a kit to replace the cancelling arm assy. it's usually a special order. you do need to pull the switch assy to replace it.

Toddml

Signals

Check the bulb contacts and grounds of your front turn signals. Had a similar issue, found the bulb contacts were dirty.