• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel mileage

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow what do you guys usually get when you go wheeling.. Running Buddy an I just went hunting in New Mexico .. Granted it was high up or it was to me 6500 ft elv. But rough territory and all in low range ..Our mileage was only 2.5 mpg .. Cost us $30.00 a day for fuel.. Sure was fun..
302 auto. 4:11 and 33'' tires. and a carb. It cranked and ran great but 2.5mpg.
......What does yours get.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Depends on how much moving you're actually doing but I break into the upper single digits (8-9) when wheeling.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
last bronco daze i went to, i burned thru about 8 gallons of gas in about 35 miles off road + the 15 miles to get to the trail. had to borrow gas to get back to camp. now that i have a 23 gallon tank, i didn't even get to try it this year...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run a manual so I'm sure that auto sucks up a lot more got to overcome the stall. While I dont really check actual mileage I would guess 10 or so. As I can usually run all day on just the 10 gal aux tank And I'm usually running at high elevation as well.. But I'm rarely in low range all the time so that could make a big differance. but still If your only getting 2.5 mpg your either really crawling or something is really wrong. What does it get on the hiway?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
When I'm in low range I go by gallons per hour. I plan on 2 GPH but seldom use that much.
You don't want to know my total fuel bill since I'm in NY and the nearest wheeling is an hour away.... ;)

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I dont think there is any off road mpg formula.. it all depends on the terrain. I had a swamp buggy down in the everglades and went in to retrieve a friends buggy that broke a knuckle. Spent an entire day crawling through the swamp did a total of 7 miles and burned 12 gallons.. my platform buggy was built out of a heep xj and had 5:38 gears, true tracs front and rear, 2.8 v6 and 39.5 x 15 iroks. At other times when it was a little drier I could go all wekend on 10 gallons and I did not do much sitting... it all depends how hard you have to work it and what the terrain will allow you to do...

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
pretty sound reasoning for a standard.

When I'm in low range I go by gallons per hour. I plan on 2 GPH but seldom use that much.
You don't want to know my total fuel bill since I'm in NY and the nearest wheeling is an hour away.... ;)

It seems to me that I use about the same if I am idleing as driving in low range.

5-8 MPG, but then I only get 13 on the highway which from what I have read here is rediculuosly low for EFI. At least to hear some of you talk.