• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aluminum Head Suggestions for 408W Stroker

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Any suggestions for aluminum heads for a 408W stroker? ARFs are popular but my machine shop guys says he makes similar numbers with RHS AND Dart (and they're both slightly cheaper). Bronco is going to be an "all around" machine with a NP435 and 203/205 doubler.

If anyone has suggestions or practical experience please share the info with me.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Why not a set of iron Windsor Jr or Sr heads? I perfer iron heads in the Bronco because the header bolts are tough to get started and are easy to cross thread in aluninum. You can always use steel inserts or studs but iron is still stronger.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I'm having very good results out of Edelbrock's RPM heads on my 398. I got the ones with the big valves.

I'd add that your cam selection is more critical and will determine which heads you really need.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Victor Jr's?
(edit: sorry, I didn't realize they even more expensive than AFR's)

If I were building a big cube motor & didn't have a set of AFR's on hand, I'd run Victor Jr's or Brodix heads.

After the cam, I really don't know that you could go wrong on head selection w/ a 408 in a Bronco, unless it was a competition use & every hp had to be wrung out of the mill.

Trick Flow heads are on sale at Summit right now for $999... that's a hot deal.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Trick Flow heads are on sale at Summit right now for $999... that's a hot deal.

Oh Gawd , those have been calling to me all day today.
To my door for like $1027.00 , My credit card is getting restless ...

mavereq

Bronco Guru
how much heavier are the cast iron heads? i went with aluminum thinking it would even out the added weight of the windsor.... and because they're shiny and you can run a little more compression without getting detonation. did i mention they're shiny?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Why not a set of iron Windsor Jr or Sr heads? I perfer iron heads in the Bronco because the header bolts are tough to get started and are easy to cross thread in aluninum. You can always use steel inserts or studs but iron is still stronger.

you are right but the real advantage to alum heads is the ability to run 13:1 on pump gas due to the porous combustion chamber. I like Iron heads but I would toss on some alum ones if I had the scratch.

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
you are right but the real advantage to alum heads is the ability to run 13:1 on pump gas due to the porous combustion chamber. I like Iron heads but I would toss on some alum ones if I had the scratch.

This is true. I plan on running 10:1. Not that high but higher than you can with iron heads and pump gas.

Also any thoughts on an efi intake systems for a 351W? A lower lightning intake isn't cheap so I'm opening my options to the after market.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I have the 185's. They didn't make the 205's when I built my motor. But, considering what I got out of the motor I'd still probably stick with what I have.

Miker

Bronco Guru
Seems like lots of guys on here have the Trick Flows without any groaning about em'. I have a pair in the garage calling out to my lazy butt to put em' on my 351 that's sitting on an engine stand that's also been calling me a lazy bastard. Come to think of it, if all my parts were screaming at me to do something with them it would sound like a Peter Frampton concert in '76.

Anyway, Trick Flows at that price might be the way to go.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
This is true. I plan on running 10:1. Not that high but higher than you can with iron heads and pump gas.

Also any thoughts on an efi intake systems for a 351W? A lower lightning intake isn't cheap so I'm opening my options to the after market.

Trick Flow's intake system is badass, I like the black upper! I got a lightning lower for $375 off a mustang forum site, and an exploder upper which I painted black. Turned out pretty nice IMO, and I saved a little $ going that direction.

The TFS heads that are on sale are 61cc chambers which will raise the compression ratio compared to the 64cc chamber 190s. I went with the 190s and if I remember correctly I'll be at about 9.7:1 with flat top 6cc pistons. Heads were friggin expensive but like Mavereq said they are SHINEY!!!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mavreq , I thought I read on here awhile ago that a 351 with aluminum heads will be lighter than the 302 with iron.

I think the shineyness takes off a few pounds , adds a few HP and a bunch of torque and perhaps even adds a few inches to your .... nevermind :cool:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Unless your really wanting every last bit of HP go with whatever heads you can afford or are comfortable with. AFR's are nice but compared to others your not really gaining much unless your doing 1/4 mile passes. I run TFS heads on my 302 never had a issue with them. Bought mine back awhen Edelbrock and TFS were about the only affordable heads on the market besides worlds iron heads.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah , haven't ever really read anything bad about either AFR's or Trick Flows. Quite the opposite actually.

I have been looking to build a torque monster motor and figured the AFR165's would be the ticket (smaller intake volume leads to faster airflow which builds cyl pressure) , but just the other day , seeing the sale price on the TF's , I did some research and found a really technical thread about the 170ccTF's and it seems the TF's will help bottom end torque more than the AFR's due to the design of the port and how it affects the flow.

Not sure how long the sale will last , still kickin' buying these around a bit.

Still on sale today ... $300 bucks off regular price.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would suggest TFS 185 series heads. AFR's are harder to get proper valve-train geometry compared to the slanted valve design on the TFS's.

Depending on your cam, with TFS 185's on a 408W you should be making at least 450ft/tq before 3K RPM.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah , haven't ever really read anything bad about either AFR's or Trick Flows. Quite the opposite actually.

I have been looking to build a torque monster motor and figured the AFR165's would be the ticket (smaller intake volume leads to faster airflow which builds cyl pressure) , but just the other day , seeing the sale price on the TF's , I did some research and found a really technical thread about the 170ccTF's and it seems the TF's will help bottom end torque more than the AFR's due to the design of the port and how it affects the flow.

Not sure how long the sale will last , still kickin' buying these around a bit.

Still on sale today ... $300 bucks off regular price.

There are two versions on sale, and if you're running a cam smaller than .540 (who here isn't?), they're only $949.

TFS-51400002

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are two versions on sale, and if you're running a cam smaller than .540 (who here isn't?), they're only $949.

TFS-51400002

Some of the newer hyd. roller cams for computer controlled vehicles are getting over .500 lift on short durations. Great torque builders.

Basically , just a bit hotter than a stock 351 hyd. roller cam :http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-510-8/
_In / Ex ....
208/216 @ .050 .....
.533/.544 w/ 1.6 rockers

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
buy a head w 300plus flow number on the intake side 225 or 235cc intake runner I'm building a 408 for my mud truck right now and I've been on the virtual online dyno web sight a head that flows 305 on a 408 with 610 lift make 590 hp at 6600rpms