• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fluid film for frame coating?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i got my sample of fluid film in the mail today. i haven't tried it out yet but reading the paperwork has me confused as i thought this was a coating that dried and would be a good coating for my frame. right now my frame is bare metal. am i supposed to paint the frame and then spray fluid film over the paint or is it intended to work as a coating over bare metal. it seems like it would come off over time.

anyone using this stuff yet?

nelson_bros

Loc.
los anchorage
fluid film isn't meant as a final covering for large areas. it would be good for hinges or inside a more sealed void/space. i think of it as a gooey form of WD-40.

it is pretty good at preventing corrosion, we used it all the time on coast guard h60's and they are always hovering in salt spray, so it got tested, but we were always reapplying it after we washed the helos too.

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
dang, i was hoping this was going to work as a good frame coating

nelson_bros

Loc.
los anchorage
i wouldn't say the stuff really "dries", it is more like jello that is left out and starts to dry up. still pliable, but more gummy than what you started with. once you got dirt and stuff stuck in it, it would be a mess to try clean off. although i guess you could just spray more on once in a while and be fine.

"Penetrating into the substrate, it creates a fluid, self-healing barrier that is always active and will not chip or crack, protecting vehicle undercoating’s and exposed metals for extended periods of time. " from their website http://www.fluid-film.com/index.html

VT_Don

Fluid Film is ideal for box sections like door posts, windshield frames, and tail gates. On a painted frame, it would work well on unreachable internal sections. There are no typical, VOCs like petroleum oil. Fluid Film is lanolin base and does not "dry out." As a matter of fact, on really hot days, months after applying, Fluid Film can be noted creeping from the smallest seams. The product is routinely used on high end restorations exceeding $100K.

OP
OP
mavereq

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i used chimney cleaning rods to paint the inside of my frame, but i might try shooting a bunch of fluid film into the holes anyways. thanks for the info.

Dano50

Fluid Film is an excellent vehicle undercoating. Because it doesn't dry it remains active, migrating to protect inaccessible areas. It will not chip or crack and is self-healing. It's a once a year application. I'd recommend purchasing a gallon and applying with a standard undercoating gun.