• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Light Bar Repair

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Does anyone know if there is a bulb inside of these dash light bars? Mine do not work and before I explore and try to repair them I wanted to check. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got LED packs like that too. The local Race Shop had a few sets for cheap too.
I also found an almost exact replacement bulb at the local electronic supply retailer. In my case it was Fry's (www.frys.com) and though I didn't try to find them online, I found them in the store. I'd say it was easy, but I had to look at 30,375 different bulbs to find what I was looking for. Ugh.

I haven't attempted to replace them yet, but it looks like a matter of cutting the bare wires (the stock bulbs are permanently wired to the housings) and laying the new ones in. I like your idea of just mounting the LED's from the outside, but wanted to retain the stock plugs too.

Oh, and when you're trying to remove the housings from the dash RG75, be very careful. That plastic can be old and brittle, and those things are a VERY tight fit into the holes in the dash sometimes.
There may be a trick, which hopefully someone will pipe up with, but basically it's a squeeze thing. There are tabs on the top and bottom edges of the modules that snap in and hold them tightly to the dash.
In other words, easy to break 'em.

Paul

OP
OP
RG75Bronco

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Paul,
I have the dash out and a friend who has owned several over the years showed me the trick to get them out.
Thanks,
RG

Bradsp8

What is the trick to getting them out without breaking or tearing them up?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Paul,
I have the dash out and a friend who has owned several over the years showed me the trick to get them out.
Thanks,
RG

Can you explain the removal method? I have a set that I need to replace the bulbs on as well and need to get them out of the dash without breaking them.

OP
OP
RG75Bronco

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Sure justino,
On each light tower top and bottom there are (3) little clips for a total of (6) built into the housing. You can feel them right next to the back of the dash. With your thumb and index finger compress top and bottom of each clip and push forward very slow until you can release each one. Good luck. It may be a pain with the dash installed.

RG