• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powder coat match for Wimbeldon white

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Has anyone had anything powdercoated white to match the hard top or the white grill on their Bronco?

There are probably 20 different whites on a color chart...

Greg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try this "PPG Wimbleton White ceramic powder pct87210q"

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can actually get powder in just about any color liquid paint comes in. The hard part, as you found, is either finding someone that stocks it, having to buy it in bulk for one small job(!), or having it custom blended by a manufacturer that will do small lots.
There is one company we used to use in Oregon that would make 5 and 10 lb lots though, without charging you a massive up-charge for ordering such a small quantity, so that worked out well when we had to custom match.

Paul

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
You can actually get powder in just about any color liquid paint comes in. The hard part, as you found, is either finding someone that stocks it, having to buy it in bulk for one small job(!), or having it custom blended by a manufacturer that will do small lots.
There is one company we used to use in Oregon that would make 5 and 10 lb lots though, without charging you a massive up-charge for ordering such a small quantity, so that worked out well when we had to custom match.

Paul

Thanks. I was looking a stock color I could easily get. I probably 6 different whites but none matched well.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Hi Greg - just wanted to confirm that the code listed above was a direct match for the OEM WW color. Please let me know, I'm going to send it to the guy who's going to do my wheels and want to make sure they'll match!

Thanks

dawg1340

Loc.
Plymouth,In.
try NIC industries,,,Prismatic powders,, They sell powder and liquid coatings,,I use their powders all the time,and they will sell as little as 1 pound of powder,,and some of the best powder I have used

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Hi Greg - just wanted to confirm that the code listed above was a direct match for the OEM WW color. Please let me know, I'm going to send it to the guy who's going to do my wheels and want to make sure they'll match!

Thanks

I never actually tried it. I tried to get a sample of it but they didnt have any at the time. I used a color I thought was colose but in the end didnt like it and went to a silver color.

Sorry...

I am still curious if this is a good match. Post results.

Greg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Greg - thanks for the info. It does indeed look like a good match. My guy is trying to find a supplier to sell him a small amount - 10# or so.

I'll keep posted with results.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Well, this is super frustrating. Just got the wheels back from the powder coater. I gave them the PPG code found above. They weren't able to buy the PPG in quantity less than 55# and unbeknownst to me called their supplier and was told that Tagger brand RAL9010 was a match.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178752

Anyway, they put 2 coats on, did a fantastic job, but the color is not a close match at all!!!! See photos below. The PC is obviously going to be more glossy than paint, but it is too bright and too white.

See attached photos. The rattle can I got of Wimbledon White off the shelf at Autozone was a very good match to the inside of my glove box and inside top of hardtop both of which obviously don't see the sun.

So, I can't see whether the "PPG Wimbleton White ceramic powder pct87210q" would be a good match, but can definitely say that RAL 9010 isn't.

I will now have them painted, and should the paint chip, will have a nice PC base layer that is only few shades off and will help hide the chips! If anyone knows if any special prep is needed to paint over PC, please respond here:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217222&highlight=powder+coat

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Wish I had known you were going to try the RAL color... I knew that didnt match... already tried it. I tried about every stock color 4 or 5 manufactures had trying to match Wimbeldon white.

Greg

Well, this is super frustrating. Just got the wheels back from the powder coater. I gave them the PPG code found above. They weren't able to buy the PPG in quantity less than 55# and unbeknownst to me called their supplier and was told that Tagger brand RAL9010 was a match.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178752

Anyway, they put 2 coats on, did a fantastic job, but the color is not a close match at all!!!! See photos below. The PC is obviously going to be more glossy than paint, but it is too bright and too white.

See attached photos. The rattle can I got of Wimbledon White off the shelf at Autozone was a very good match to the inside of my glove box and inside top of hardtop both of which obviously don't see the sun.

So, I can't see whether the "PPG Wimbleton White ceramic powder pct87210q" would be a good match, but can definitely say that RAL 9010 isn't.

I will now have them painted, and should the paint chip, will have a nice PC base layer that is only few shades off and will help hide the chips! If anyone knows if any special prep is needed to paint over PC, please respond here:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217222&highlight=powder+coat

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Just thought about this...

I have done this in the past with success. Whoever does your powder coating could ask their supplier who was the last person to buy that PPG wimbelton white color... then give them a shout to see if they have any left over. Most coaters have a room full of partial boxes they will sell very cheap...

Thats where some of those Ebay auctions come from.

I bet I have 100 partial boxes of powder in our racks here.

Just an idea.

greg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Greg, I think I mentioned above but I did not know that they were going to use RAL color. I gave them specifically the PPG code.

So the good news is that it was their fault and they made it up to me, the bad news is that I ended up having to paint them.

Actually, it wasn't really their fault. According to them their rep at RAL claimed that this is an exact match to the PPG color. It is obviously not!

The bottom line here is that there is an amazing opportunity for someone to get into the highly lucrative powder purchasing and reselling business!