• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel leaking problem

wrangler

Loc.
Gallatin,TN
Just installed a new rear tank sending unit that I bought from JBG ordered a new seal and locking ring with it the seal they sent me is about 1/8 wide and flat rubber couldn't get it to stay in place so left old paper gasket in and installed now its leaking. When I removed old sending unit there appeared to be some sort of sealant on paper gasket. All that being said is there a sealant I can put on or how do you keep the rubber one in place. thanks for any help

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A little more elbow grease will get the rubber one in there. I wouldnt use any sealant on any fuel tank gaskets.

OP
OP
W

wrangler

Loc.
Gallatin,TN
The rubber one goes in real easy it won't stay in place while I put the unit in the seal looks like a thick rubber band

turbotim2

I used a new rubber gasket with some vaseline on it to help stick it in the groove.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I had a LOT of trouble with the ones on Frank's truck, and eventually I found the best way to seal them was to put a ring of RightStuff around the OUTSIDE of the rubber seal, gently set the sender in place, and just hand-tighten the bolts. Let it cure (20min-1hr), then finish tightening them. The RS holds the seal in place, but the rubber is the only thing in contact with the gas.

OP
OP
W

wrangler

Loc.
Gallatin,TN
I used a little vaseline to hold the seal in place while putting the the sending unit in everything looks okay for now knock on wood.Thanks for all the advice.