• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff's radius arm bracket

BIGED

Guru ????
Need some help bracket location is 10.25 back from outside hole on stock bracket po did a crazy drop bracket and im not sure if the old bolt is in the correct spot.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 81

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
Just line the wheels up in the center of the wheel wells with the arms installed on the front end and the frame brackets on the arms. When you have the front end where you want it clamp the frame brackets to the frame with a couple of c clamps. make sure the trac bar isn't in a bind. Measure from a bodi mount on both sides to make sure the front end is in square. When I put on my long arms I pushed the front end forward.
Worked for me. When I measured the factory radius brackets on the frame they were off by almost 1/4".

OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
Thanks blwngsket

ANY others with some input .

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
My cage arrm bracket bolt hole centerline is 13 7/8" from the backsidde of the body mount. Whats left of the bracket on your frame has the bolt head welded in place, and you should be able to measure 10 1/4" from that. hope that helps.
Jim

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
so it looks like the bolt is in the right spot?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I just swapped in long arms and posted my question yesterday on this list because the 10 3/4" measurement is wrong!

It's extremely important to measure from the inside of your axle tubes front to rear on both sides of your rig BEFORE you take the tires/wheels off and before cutting the radius arm brkts off. Did you do that (it's in the instructions). If so, just space the radius arm brkts wherever they line up when the axle tube to axle tube measurements are the same as you had before you started.

Mine started out at 88 7/8" t-tube and is sitting there right now. Make sure your springs are loaded and setting at the same spot they were with your first measurement. Don't drill any holes or weld until you set your rig loaded back on all fours!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
just make sure the vehicle is sitting level and hang plumbobs from the coil buckets to get your axle where you want it.

Bronconut

Hey Ed,

When you cut the rest of the factory bracket off, the bolt in your pic that is welded is threaded into a factory threaded insert in the frame. I would measure from that threaded insert since it has always been part of the frame.

Then you can verify it by measuring off a couple other reference points to make you feel better.

You have some wiggle room in the hiem threads for adjustment incase your frame is not square or other slight imperfections.

Mike

nvrstuk

Contributor
and it's that bolt in the instruction (reference point) that shows 10 3/4" to the middle of the hiem bolt that is wrong! :)

Don't measure from that original bolt, measure axle tube to axle tube. If I'd followed their instructions I would have ended up with a 91" wheelbase but worse than that is my front end would have been moved forward an inch putting a nice "S" curve in my springs, messing with my strg geometry, hyd ram would have hit my track bar upon full spring compression, etc...

OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
Thanks everyone thats what i needed to know the po had that square tube welded to the frame and things just didnt look right

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 87

nvrstuk

Contributor
WOW, glad to see you're getting rid of that road hazard!! That looks flippin' dangerous!

Good luck

OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
sad thing is my family has had it since 91 and ive had it for 6 years. Ive wheeled it pretty hard and they never moved.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i guess the radius arm frame mounts don't see a lot of side movement with the trackbar on there.

OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
Well its almost done,that was a pain by myself. looks good all i need to do is put the tires back on and check all the adjustments before I weld the brackets. the way it sits now its off a 1/16 not bad for a rookie;D

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 33

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Wow! Can't believe I'm finally seeing this. Also can't beleive what those brackets have held up to.
Now I know why you haven't answered my email.%);D

mavereq

Bronco Guru
Well its almost done,that was a pain by myself. looks good all i need to do is put the tires back on and check all the adjustments before I weld the brackets. the way it sits now its off a 1/16 not bad for a rookie;D

you can make up a sixteenth with the threads on the heims. just make sure you do an alignment of some sorts.

OP
OP
BIGED

BIGED

Guru ????
Its finished im pleased with the way it works now to get it on the trail;D

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg