• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

axle stubs 72 bronco

jonnyB

Loc.
San Antonio TX
I am trying to find axle stubs or outer axle shafts for my 72. I can not find them anywhere around town. The ones that I have found the u joints are the wrong size. Has anyone else had this problem, and what was the solution? I am thinking the shafts are actually for the D30 not the D44.

iamfastrr

Are you looking for stock shafts? The ones you have might have been upgraded.

On that note, I will be taking my stock shafts out here in the next couple of weeks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x2. Are the ones you've been finding a smaller u-joint than the ones you have now? If so, it sounds like maybe someone upgraded to the larger u-joints used in later model Broncos and full-size trucks. Most (if not all?) aftermarket hi-perf axles would have the larger joint.
All Broncos, whether sporting a 30 or a 44 used the same 5-260x u-joint. The larger one is a 5-297x joint.

Maybe you're just lucky and need to try one from a '79 Bronco or so? Give it a shot anyway. Are you still using the stock Spicer type locking hubs? Or aftermarket? And did your old axle stub shafts still have the outer snap-ring installed?
Just curious. Hope you're just "lucky" in this case.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
on the other side of the coin your probably only finding the larger stub shafts basically for pickups and big broncos as the early bronco smaller sized ujoint stubs was not all that common.
Best bet is to either get with our venders or as someone has already hinted they are pulling out there old stuff. So a ad in the classified would probably get you some old stubs easily.

OP
OP
J

jonnyB

Loc.
San Antonio TX
The axels stubs i originally found ended up being a heavier duty shaft and supported a larger u-joint cup than what my original axels have.

I talked to one guy who mentioned that when ford went from the 30 to 44, they kept the same size axels and stubs in the 44 for a short interim period, eventually upgrading to the heavier duty axel.

So, I'm thinking that although i have a 44, the axels are still the same size axels that were in the 30. Is this familiar to anyone?

Basically, i found the heavier duty stubs but need the smaller one. Broncograveyard has used axel stubs out of 30 that look identical to mine, but i can't be sure. They don't give any specifications it.

OP
OP
J

jonnyB

Loc.
San Antonio TX
Welcome
on the other side of the coin your probably only finding the larger stub shafts basically for pickups and big broncos as the early bronco smaller sized ujoint stubs was not all that common.
Best bet is to either get with our venders or as someone has already hinted they are pulling out there old stuff. So a ad in the classified would probably get you some old stubs easily.

Yes I need the stock shafts, I was looking on Jeff's Bronco Grave yard and found that the shafts that are listed as D30 are actually what I need. Is there a chance that they used the D30 shafts in the D44 for a few years before they fully upgraded to larger shaft in all D44's.

I will post an add on the classifieds if anyone has the shafts let me know.

OP
OP
J

jonnyB

Loc.
San Antonio TX
x2. Are the ones you've been finding a smaller u-joint than the ones you have now? If so, it sounds like maybe someone upgraded to the larger u-joints used in later model Broncos and full-size trucks. Most (if not all?) aftermarket hi-perf axles would have the larger joint.
All Broncos, whether sporting a 30 or a 44 used the same 5-260x u-joint. The larger one is a 5-297x joint.

Maybe you're just lucky and need to try one from a '79 Bronco or so? Give it a shot anyway. Are you still using the stock Spicer type locking hubs? Or aftermarket? And did your old axle stub shafts still have the outer snap-ring installed?
Just curious. Hope you're just "lucky" in this case.

Paul

Yes I am going back to stock. It did have the outer snap ring still in tact.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While the D30 and D44 shafts for the EB both use the same ujoint there are some minor differances in the shafts. I'm not sure how well they would interchange i would just go with D44 shafts so you know they work. Getting someones old stuff is probably your best bet. if you were buying new stuff then I'd just upgrade to the larger ujoint and shafts.