• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch rear need help

CB Fab

Loc.
Congers
i have 72 with a big bearing rear 3.50 with factory trac lock. It is going to be a weekend warrior. would like to up grade parts.
1. yukon gear 28 spline axles stock trac lock , new 4.11 gears
if 1 is there a overhual kit available for factory trac lock
2. yukon gear 31 spline axles, yukon trac lock , new 4.11 gears
Need advise on which one i know there is a big cost differance but i'm going to have this a long time. Thanks Chuck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Many places sell rebuild kits for the trac loc. Currie, complete offroad among others. In all seriousness I wouldnt really bother with 31 spline axles and a trac loc just rebuild what you have and install the gears you want and go from there. The factory trac loc's(especailly the 2pinion found in broncos) are weak I've busted 2 have yet to bust a 28 spline axle. But if you plan on really beating on it and running big tires ie 33in or larger then 31 spline axles and diff are good insurance.
If you still want to go 31 spline I'd get some other locker or LS unit. like a true trac or whatever. while trac loc's work they are just not the strongest thing out there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No matter which way you go diff-wise, if you're going to upgrade axle shafts anyway, I'd definitely go with 31 spline versions.
Even if you stick with the original limited-slip, you can simply buy 31 spline side gears for it and install them with the rest of the rebuild kit.

I'm with az on the True-Trac or other upgrade, but at least with the 31 spline axles, you're eliminating (or reducing at least) one weak link in the rear end.
And this way too, if you ever decide to change to a different carrier type at some point, you're already there with the axles. And some, like ARB's, don't even offer a 28 spline version, so you'd have to change the axles again if you decided to go with an ARB at a later date.

Paul