• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock Right Locker

Dave Meyer

Loc.
Loveland
I blew out my D44 the other day and a good friend of mine suggested I replace it with a lock right locker. I ordered it yesterday and will be installing it this weekend.
Any of you guys out there have a thumbs up/down for the locker or any install tips for me? My buddy is going to help out with the install (good friend) and has lots of experience but I would still like any of your input that you would like to give me.
Its going in my daily driver 74 bronco sport, 3 speed, 4.10, 347 stroker (fresh build)

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I blew out my D44 the other day and a good friend of mine suggested I replace it with a lock right locker. I ordered it yesterday and will be installing it this weekend.
Any of you guys out there have a thumbs up/down for the locker or any install tips for me? My buddy is going to help out with the install (good friend) and has lots of experience but I would still like any of your input that you would like to give me.
Its going in my daily driver 74 bronco sport, 3 speed, 4.10, 347 stroker (fresh build)

check out the tech article on the aussie locker it's pretty much the same thing.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
If you are doing light to moderate wheeling and you are light on the skinny peddle with that stroker then you might be okay. The Loc Right is only as strong as the carrier. Otherwise you are gaining experience on installing lockers. I have one in my rig at the moment but I have an ARB waiting to be installed.

OP
OP
Dave Meyer

Dave Meyer

Loc.
Loveland
I am far from light on the skinny peddle...maybe this will teach me a little of crawling patience
Where do I find the tech article?

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Look in the sub forum just above where these threads are posted.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You should be buying a new open carrier for the Lock- rite locker. If it were me, I'd buy a Detroit locker for just a little more $. The cost of a new carrier and the locker isn't much less than the Detroit.

Oatmeal

You should be buying a new open carrier for the Lock- rite locker. If it were me, I'd buy a Detroit locker for just a little more $. The cost of a new carrier and the locker isn't much less than the Detroit.
Have you priced a D44 Detroit lately? They're over $500 (close to $600 on some sites http://tomsdifferentials.com/catalog.asp?pg=95) now:eek: Aussie $239. You don't need a new carrier. Honestly, how many miles do you really put on the front end? Unless it's damaged, reuse it or you can pick one up (complete) at the wrecking yard for about $40-50 or IF you need a new empty carrier (say a 4 series for a gear swap) they aren't that expensive http://tomsdifferentials.com/catalog.asp?pg=94 I've had an L.A. Locker (that's what they were called when they first came out) in my D44 for almost 18yrs now (paid $140 then!), blown a couple of front shafts and it's still intact (NP435, 4.11s and 35s) sure, I would rather have a selectable but, it's served (still serving) me well over the years. The rear is a different story..........Detroit there.--------Hans

OP
OP
Dave Meyer

Dave Meyer

Loc.
Loveland
Well, I have heard both good and bad for the lockright. I will try it out and if I blow it out right away it will be good install practice! I will let you guys know what I think of it.

sriha

Well, I have heard both good and bad for the lockright. I will try it out and if I blow it out right away it will be good install practice! I will let you guys know what I think of it.

Let me know how that works out for you. I plan on adding a locker in the near future and was looking at Lock Right. I try not to beat up too much but since I have open diffs the only way to get up the hill is to start fast and hit hard and hope you make it ;) Haven't broke anything yet, knock on wood. I will also be doing a little road driving around town with it.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
Do either the Aussie or Lockrite make a locker for the rear of the '68? Right now it has the small six. I believe it's the small bearing 9". I looked on Aussie's web site and they don't have any listings for the Early Broncos.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Really simple to install. Takes about an hour. Remove the carrier, pull the spider gears, and slip in the locker. I had mine in a 78 with 35 inch tires and it never let me down. But as others have stated, the weak link is the stock carrier. I really doubt you could break the locker.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I abused the living crap out of my LockRight for 10 years in 4 different vehicles including my current Bronco with the doubler. I twisted 31 spline axle shafts and even blew the bearing caps out of the 9 inch. I sold the LockRight in the rear axle when I did my Ton swap. As I rebuilt the rearend after I blew the caps out of it, the locker looked brand new.

The LockRight uses the factory spider gears so you can use the 28 spline spiders with it in a 9 inch. I would recommend buying new spiders when you do the install.

David

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dave, just what did you blow out in your diff? I'm asking because, if you did wreck the carrier, then you are indeed going to need a new open carrier to use your new locker.
If you just lunched some gears though, you should be good to go. Of course, in that case... You would be thinking about changing gear ratios now instead? Ugh, it's always something.

Paul

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i put a spartan in mine but don't have it on the road yet. it was a really easy install, but i had the carrier out. i don't think i could have installed it with the carrier in the housing.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
I have never installed a locker before the Lockright, it went in very easy no gear setup req and I havnt had a bit of trouble out of it.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
The LockRight uses the factory spider gears so you can use the 28 spline spiders with it in a 9 inch. I would recommend buying new spiders when you do the install. David

The Lockrite uses the stock spiders? How does that work.....???
I thought all that got thrown away and new parts were used.

I had a Lockrite in my Cruiser with 35" Swampers and over 400hp. Never had a problem with either rock crawling or hauling ass up the dunes at Dumont.

prosys1

Loc.
Victorville, CA
I just got off the phone with Richmond Gear, manufacturer of the Lock-Rite and The PowerTrax No-Slip. Both are basically the same. The Lock-rite does use the stock outer gears, so P/N 1810 will fit either the 28 or 31 splined axles. If you do want to replace the outer gears as suggested above, you would get the PowerTrax No-Slip. It comes with new outer gears which I was told makes the unit quieter. Although I never heard my Lock-rite until i went around a corner. PowerTrax P/N is 92-0690-2800 for the 28 spline & 3100 for the 31 spline.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
The Lockrite uses the stock spiders? How does that work.....???
I thought all that got thrown away and new parts were used.

I had a Lockrite in my Cruiser with 35" Swampers and over 400hp. Never had a problem with either rock crawling or hauling ass up the dunes at Dumont.

Yea. Thats what I was thinking too. Lol. Everything inside the the carrier is replaced. No spider gears.

sriha

I just got off the phone with Richmond Gear, manufacturer of the Lock-Rite and The PowerTrax No-Slip. Both are basically the same. The Lock-rite does use the stock outer gears, so P/N 1810 will fit either the 28 or 31 splined axles. If you do want to replace the outer gears as suggested above, you would get the PowerTrax No-Slip. It comes with new outer gears which I was told makes the unit quieter. Although I never heard my Lock-rite until i went around a corner. PowerTrax P/N is 92-0690-2800 for the 28 spline & 3100 for the 31 spline.

Interesting, I just put in an order for a Lock Right and was wondering how a 28 and 30 spline as well as an 8" and 9" could all use the same locker. Now I know.