• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD people please help

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
So I drove the Bronco for the first time yesterday (Under its own power) and of course it has its little issues. But the main is the trans, I adjusted the TV cable the where its at 35psi. I take the Bronco down the road and to get out of first gear I have to rev up to about 4k. I was told the TV cable controls the shift points and line pressure. I have some crazy shift kit in this thing so I dont know if I should try adjusting the cable for a lower Rpm shift because its at the factory recommended setting so will that mess up the line pressure?

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I was told the TV cable pressure should be set at 104 psi & the only real correct was is with the adustment tool. I heard just pulling it tight is not enough.

Without the right TV cable pressure you can burn up an AOD in no time.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I had mine set by the shop that built my AOD. Then they told me that I could move it 1/8" at a time to adjust the shift points to where I wanted them. So I've adjusted it to where I like it. Sounds to me like yours is too tight if it holds the shifts that long.

check this website for more info

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

OP
OP
BroncinBrandon

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
Well I got it to shift a little better earlier today, but I moved the cable so that its not pulling as much which is basically dropping the line pressure. So tomo ill toss the guage on there and hope its around 33psi. If it isnt close I guess ill try the above links method of the throttle wide open, and then if that isnt right ill be dragging it to a tranny shop...

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
When people say the AOD will burn up if the TV is not adjusted properly, what is burn up? What are the symptoms? I found a sight that explained the adjustment procedure that was used on the Ford assembly line. I have efi, when the cable is removed from the TB and the TB is at full idle, I simply set the tab to fit into the bushing, aligned with no tension on the cable. I locked it in place. Internally to the AOD the TV lever is spring loaded to the idle position.
On the road it does shift a bit quick through the gears if I am very easy with the throttle. If I step into the throttle it shifts at a much higher RPM shift points are firm.
If I'm easy on the throttle and move push the throttle near the floor the AOD will down shift until I slightly let off or I have reached a higher RPM and MPH.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
When people say the AOD will burn up if the TV is not adjusted properly, what is burn up? What are the symptoms? I found a sight that explained the adjustment procedure that was used on the Ford assembly line. I have efi, when the cable is removed from the TB and the TB is at full idle, I simply set the tab to fit into the bushing, aligned with no tension on the cable. I locked it in place. Internally to the AOD the TV lever is spring loaded to the idle position.
On the road it does shift a bit quick through the gears if I am very easy with the throttle. If I step into the throttle it shifts at a much higher RPM shift points are firm.
If I'm easy on the throttle and move push the throttle near the floor the AOD will down shift until I slightly let off or I have reached a higher RPM and MPH.

"Burn up" means that it would alow the clutches to slip and "burn".. The Throttle Valve(TV) is essentially a governor or regulator that adjusts the hydraulic pressure for the particulat load. With a light load, the pressure needed to apply and hold the clutches can be relatively low. As the load increases, the engine tq can overcome the holding force, allowing it to slip. So, the pressure needs to be increased in order to hold it. At the same time, the shift points are increased to maximize engine potential. If the TV is not set correctly, its very much like riding the clutch and allowing it to slip, on a manual. However, on an auto, its much worse..
Hope that helps..

Last edited:

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
TV only controls OD shifting, not 2-3. Pull all the slack out, drive it, and let it off a little at a time to get it where you want it. Driving it with no pressure will toast your OD.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
AOD weak link is the OD, overdrive should remain locked out until at freeway cruising speed.
You can get the parts to do this from Lentech..

OP
OP
BroncinBrandon

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
Well im heading outside in about a hour (Who knew Az was cold?) to check the pressure. I'll report back after I tinker with it.. Plus side, the 351w seems pretty strong, especially for not getting anywhere near full throttle.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Brandon, you have WAY too much TV pressure. Back it off a bit at a time until you get the shift quality you want. If I remember correctly my line pressure is around 10-20 pounds or so. Do a google on AOD line pressure to find the correct setting. I was in your boat when I first got mine on the road, 3800 RPM shifts and chirping 35"s in 1-3rd gears! It's much more tame now...

OP
OP
BroncinBrandon

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
Brandon, you have WAY too much TV pressure. Back it off a bit at a time until you get the shift quality you want. If I remember correctly my line pressure is around 10-20 pounds or so. Do a google on AOD line pressure to find the correct setting. I was in your boat when I first got mine on the road, 3800 RPM shifts and chirping 35"s in 1-3rd gears! It's much more tame now...

Well it looks like the problem is since im using a carb and a Tv cable from Fi they're not in sync. So first gear had too much line pressure, while 2nd and 3rd didnt have enough. So I got this Lokar cable yesterday and gonna toss it on this morning and see if that fixes the issue.

BTW the 4.56s burn up those 31s pretty easily, ha. Guess I'll be doing 33s soon

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
TV only controls OD shifting, not 2-3. Pull all the slack out, drive it, and let it off a little at a time to get it where you want it. Driving it with no pressure will toast your OD.

Uh...no that is not correct, the TV controls the entire behavior of the AOD. Read my link in previous post.