• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ign wiring

Mike Rehtus

Loc.
Cumming Ga
Installing new ignition switch determined yellow is power to batt input , red/blue is start output to start relay, green/brown to ign run. Have a purple wire and red wire that run to brake light and a purple wire that runs to brakes how does this all tie together?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Mike, welcome to CB! Lot of pains with ignition switch wiring in the recent past it seems. What year is your Bronco by the way?
On some, there is a red wire that goes to what's called an "Ambient Switch" somewhere. I think that's a '72 year only thingy though.

The Purple wire (sometimes Purple w/white) goes from the ignition switch (the little side terminal all by itself I think) straight down to the frame mounted H-block for the brakes. The other Violet wire that comes out of the connector on the H-block goes back to the dash "BRAKE" light, and then splices into the Green w/red wire from the ignition switch too.
That same big Green w/red wire should connect to the center post of the switch, if I'm not mistaken. Should be obvious though, if it's got that big ring-terminal on the end.

That Green w/brown is probably just a faded red stripe. Should be Green w/red. Some years it's Pink. Either way, and for future reference, that's your resistor wire to the ignition. It's a "resistor" only between the key and the firewall. Once in the engine compartment, it's just a regular wire.

Hope that helps.

Paul