• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clunking Detroit Locker

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I'm still working out the post resto bugs. As the truck is moving from say 50MPH and slowing down at about 5-10 MPH with no load on the engine there is a distinct clunking sound from the read end. It feels like the drive shaft is sloppy. Any ideas, I have noticed there is a about 1/4 turn at the yoke on the pinion shaft. How much free play should there be at the yoke?

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Detroit's are some crazy animals. When I had my 9" in mine with a Detroit, My driveshaft always had about a 1/4 turn on the shaft. I always thought something was wrong with it. I removed the carrier many times and messed with it. Could never find anything wrong with it. I've read many other threads on them and they all say about the same thing. Sounds pretty normal to me. They do act very crazy on the street, especially with a manual trans.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
no matter what it does, how bad it sounds or what it feels like just exploded... it's the detroit and it's perfectly normal.

quarter turn sounds right.

they need a new slogan: "Detroit Locker - Yes that's normal!"

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback, but like you said you still took it apart several times looking for something. I had a Detroit in my Toy 4x4 and it had it's quirks on the road but mostly in turning, so you adjust your driving style. I hope I just need to learn what this thing likes. I hate ugly mechanical sounds, it doesn't seem to add up to longevity. Thanks again

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'm still working out the post resto bugs. As the truck is moving from say 50MPH and slowing down at about 5-10 MPH with no load on the engine there is a distinct clunking sound from the read end. It feels like the drive shaft is sloppy. Any ideas, I have noticed there is a about 1/4 turn at the yoke on the pinion shaft. How much free play should there be at the yoke?

I've had all kinds of weird stuff going on with my detroits, but never that one. As mentioned though, would not surprise me at all if nothing is wrong.