• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w Oil pump install, use RTV or not, or something else?

1970excursion

In process of installing a new oil pump.

old pump had metal to metal at block, and RTV + Gasket at pickup tube.

Is this the recomended way to put it back together?

The block surface looks good, no pits or anything, but is there a sealer I should put there too?

Oatmeal

I like using Gasket Cinch....back when I used to build air cooled VW engines, that's all we used at the case half mating surfaces, never leaked----------Hans

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think both are supposed to have a paper gasket/sealer, not sealer only.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
RTV and oil pumps are a bad mix.
Original is paper at both ends of the pump.
The pickup gasket is easy to find replacnemts but the one to the block cannot be found alone (tried a few years back). Suction must be good, a tiny hole will suck air and air does not lube like oil. the pressure side isn't as critical, a little leak will simply drool oil back into the pan. I ended up with a light coat of anarobic sealer to the block (no paper) and a light coat of hylamar on the paper to the pickup.

OP
OP
1970excursion

1970excursion

Ive got two new gaskets with the pump, And I did find the pickup screen almost clogged with RTV pieces, most likely from and overload when I put the oil pan on the first time. Getting ready to install it all back on.

Should I use the paper gasket at the pump to block connection, or just the sealer you mentioned before?