• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 roller block question

67bondobronc

OK, I had a 302 non-roller block that I bought a lot of aftermarket parts for and now that the block is not able to be used I can't find a good reasonably priced non-roller block anywhere close to me.

So, I have several questions, can I use the Edelbrock 5023 E Street Heads on a roller block? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5023/
I can find plenty of them and several that are in wrecked mustangs and explorers. The application says these heads can be used 1968-1996 and I think Ford went to roller in 1985. The application also says to be used with hydraulic camshafts but I don't know what roller rocker arms I would need. Also, would I have to use different rocker studs?

Thanks for all the help.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
err...the block being roller cam or not has nothing to do with the heads...they are all interchangeable.

What you need for pushrods matters on the entire configuration..roller or flat tappet and what kind of rockers used and how installed (bolt down or adjustable). The pushrods are always the last thing I buy..once I've been able to use my push rod length guage and determine the correct length on assembled engine.

I typically use steel roller-tipped rockers with studs and guide plates. Full-roller billet rockers are nice..but also 'overkill' for most engine builds IMHO.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, you can run a roller block. If nothing else they were designed to be reverse compatable with old flat tappets.

Factory roller cams are hydraulic roller.
Roller vs. flat refers to the interface between the lifter and the cam
Hydralic vs. solid refers to lash adjustment. not part of the roller/non-roller equasion.

Usually a hydralic lifter requirement is based on lash adjustment capibility and/or valve spring rates. Typical solid lifters tend to have more aggressive lift rates (how fast the valve opens and closes) and more aggressive lift heights (total distance the valve opens). This requires different valve springs and sometimes different valves, retainers, rocker studs, etc.