• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate post replacement.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Anyone replaced a tailgate post?

I am digging into the sheet metal on my '73 project. The tailgate posts are rotten where they meet the inner quarter panels. I ordered a set of tailgate posts but they don't have the rolled lip/flange where they meet and are spot welded to the taillight housings at the tailgate opening.

Does anyone carry a post that has this flange? If not what is the best way to attach the two? It seems to me that the two panels being welded there helps to add some strength to the rear quarter/tailgate opening.

OP
OP
broncodriver99

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Thanks Richard. Yeah the set I have came from Jeff's. Gonna call Tom's Monday. Don't see them listed in their catalog or on their site. No listing on Wild Horses either. Autokrafters looks to have the same one. NPD has a new one listed. Gonna give them a call as well.

hmh800

I tried Jeff's and Dennis Carpenter, both were the same POS. Even had the same Made in Taiwan stickers on them. I ended up getting a used one from Bronco Connection. Worked way better.

OP
OP
broncodriver99

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I tried Jeff's and Dennis Carpenter, both were the same POS. Even had the same Made in Taiwan stickers on them. I ended up getting a used one from Bronco Connection. Worked way better.

Thanks HMH. Gonna try to repair the originals with pieces from the new ones. If I cant get that to work I will try and find a good used set.