• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When does the choke kick down?

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
I noticed that my 77 EB choke doesn't kick down. Is this normal? When I go to start it after a couple of presses on the throttle, it starts up great and the choke is working but never kicks down when the motor has been running a while. I have to go give a press on the throttle for it to kick down. Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's fairly normal. Sometimes they get a little sticky and cleaning them with a can of spray carb cleaner does wonders.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The mechanical choke doesn't release the throttle on any carb. Look at how it's built: the choke cam has steps, and when the throttle is resting on one, it stays that way. The choke spring isn't strong enough to pull the cam out from under the throttle lever. It just moves away as you're driving (off-idle) as the engine warms up. But if you just leave it idling, it'll stay on the cam at high idle until it runs out of gas.

BTW
"Kickdown" refers to an automatic transmission function; not choke/idle.

OP
OP
meanwire

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
Sorry for the wrong terminology. I don't have a choke pull on my dash, so what part do I clean that gets sticky?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sorry for the wrong terminology. I don't have a choke pull on my dash, so what part do I clean that gets sticky?

The linkage on the passenger side of the carb. You should see a canister with a vac line going to it there also. This is the choke pulloff dashpot thingy. Make sure it works.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To test the sticky theory mentioned above, it's not even a 5-minute thing. Pulling the air cleaner almost takes more time.
Once it's off and you can see some of the linkages on the passenger side, a few quick sprays with Chemtool or similar cleaner, then a few judicious shots of WD-40 or similar lube will free it up in no time.
As long as it's adjusted properly and/or something's not bent, this quick clean-n-lube process does wonders for how it works.

There is a school of thought that you shouldn't use a lube, as it catches dust. Very true and a legit sentiment all the way. But in my experience, the trade-off between lubing and having to clean a bit of grit off of it in the months to come, is a good compromise.
With a new carb, the lubing isn't as needed, but with an older carb with potentially hundreds of thousands of miles and millions of cycles, the lube can be a real game-changer. But the other possibility is why I use something thin and relatively film-free like WD. The other spray lubes I like on other things, that leave a heavier film behind, would conceivably collect more crud from the air.

Give it a shot and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, plan-B would include checking the choke coil and other connections. But first things first.

Paul