• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 transfer case 4 to 1 gears ?

sketch

Loc.
Lake Havasu City
Does anyone no where to get Dana 20 low 4 to 1 transfer case gears? I was told that someone use to make 4 to 1 gears for the Dana 20 transfer case. I think they said in northern California. :)

JohnT

Loc.
West Virginia
I don't remember anybody making gears 4.1 , The only one I have ever saw or heard about are 3.15 Tera Low , you can get them at Tera Low , Or google search Tera Low gears set .

Nice Bronco .

Amac70

ME
O'Brien's 4 Wheels West
1302 Hidden Court
Roseville, Ca 95661
916-773-3278

be prepared they are not cheap probably twice as much as the tera lows
these are the jp eaters 4:1 and they might be 4:86:1

Scrapper_MV

I have the jeep eater gears, they are 4.56:1 and I love them. But they are very pricey. For the cost of these gears you could by an Atlas t-case!

JohnT

Loc.
West Virginia
Wow .:eek: I didn't know they made any gears that low for a Dana 20 .How well does the dana 20 hold up too those gears ?

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Jack makes a few upgrades for the D20, his gears are cryo treated ect. Give him a call, he is a real nice guy. He will send you all the paperwork on his parts.

I chose to leave the D20 stock gearing wise and go with the Northwest Fab Blackbox-i. This adds only 5in to the drivetrain and 2.72 to 1 making it a 4 speed set up. Just another option to consider if you are rock crawling.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Jack makes a few upgrades for the D20, his gears are cryo treated ect. Give him a call, he is a real nice guy. He will send you all the paperwork on his parts.
By all means, give Jack a call. But block out about an hour or so, 'cause he does like to talk. :eek:

I always wondered why the vendors only sold the 4.86 Jeapeater gears. Jack has a full range of gear ratios available for the Dana20. Plus he stocks all sorts of replacement parts for the Dana20, like rebuilt shift forks that are squared to the shift rail and have the wear pads at the sliding gears remaned back to factory specs.

Jack is a metallurgist by trade, with a long list of credentials. His gears are manufactured using a completly different process than the stock Dana Spicer or Teralow gears, and if I remember correctly, are about 1.5 times the strength of the other available gears. As the saying goes "You get what you pay for." It all a question of whether you need it or not.

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
good info, I am on my second terra low kit, having wore out the main gear in a yr. (wheel alot) would def. check out Jack's stuff or go for a Atlas.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Go Atlas so you can have the variety of gears, because lower low range gears in a D20 will leave a big hole between high and the new low range. New low range is too low for normal wheeling and high range is just that.
you'll be glad you did and good luck with it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jack makes some good expensive stuff. But as stated, by the time you get the gears and do a few other little things needed for the D20, you spent as much or more then an Atlas or a Stak. Very hard to make a good case for buying his stuff.

The 4:1 kit is probably a confusion with a tera-Low kit for the Jeep Dana 300. They were also known for taking teeth off the small gear on the counter shaft (the 3.15 D20 gears are OK).

The 3.15 teralows are about as far as I would go with a d20. Questionable affordable. If you are looking to do more then that then you would be money ahead with an aftermarket case.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
The cost of Jack's gears and an upgraded output shaft (300M or 32spline) puts you at just about the cost of an Atlas.
I think Jack used to work in aerospace too so he has applied all his experience there to the design and manufacturing of the gears.